View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:46 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: pull and save deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoterun View Post
My comment may a tad off subject, but we're lucky here in our dry climate. It used to be I could buy an almost complete vehicle for parts for the one I was building for 3-4 hundred dollars. Then sell what was left for scrap/trade.
Once in awhile, you could find complete cars/trucks in farmers junk yards from the '30s-40s that were "running when parked". Not any more. Scrappers would come from other states combing the back roads buying scrap, but that's pretty well cleaned out our source of good clean, mini-rust parts.
So, the high scrap prices has sure taken some of the fun out of our project building here.
Yeah Cayoterun, similar situation up here. The reservation used to be great parts hunting but portable crushers have ruined that almost completely. Back in the 70s and 80s when a car or truck was sitting unused, if the owner of the land could be found, most of the time they would say "Get it out of here now and you can have it"!

Nowadays, as you say these scrap prices are diminishing what is left of the old cars, trucks, ag equipment and machinery that should be saved for historical reasons if nothing else. It's all about money.

The first pic is a rust free mid 50's Ford tanker truck at a local scrap yard where no parts can be bought. The second pic is a '58 or '59 GMC 270 next in line to be crushed at a local yard that does allow parts to be pulled, but no one was buying anything off of it. They only hang on to them for so long. I took this pic with the crusher seen through the windshield.

I hope you don't consider this a hijack, BarryGMC, great buys you got there!

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mid 50s ford scrapped.jpg (98.1 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg 58 or 59 junk GMC dash.jpg (82.2 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday