View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:12 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1000 series fenderside
sclor is on a distinguished road
Default Painting One Panel at a Time in the Driveway

Thought I would get this started to see if we have any other do it yourself body work/painters. Truck is a 1966 1000 series fenderside that I bought in 2005 a few months before Hurricane Katrina. Maiden voyage was to deposit remains of my refrigerator when I got back from the storm in a nearby dumpster (no license, no insurance, etc., but we were in storm conditions, Officer). First picture is the diamond in the rough so you get some perspective.

Paint is urethane single stage Speed Blue and GM Truck white purchased online here:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/RestorationShop/
Very reasonable prices and product has been terrific from my newby perspective. Painting has been weekend projects to strip, cut out rust, weld in new metal, body work, prime and paint one panel at a time in my driveway. Colors aren't original, but close picks that I made from Restoration Shop's color chart.

Cut out rust and welded in new cab corners, rockers, fender bottoms, door skin, patch on hood, etc. Second picture gives you a glimpse of progress.

So Steve, you bought the truck in 2005 and it's not done? Well, you see the seven year old in the first picture? He is 15 now and his passion is high school lacrosse, so weekends during lacrosse season are spoken for and the GMC gets done when it can. I am sure you understand. Last picture is where she is currently. Have kept her driveable throughout which has been a pleasure. I have great respect for guys that do frame off resto, but it just was too much for me on my first attempt.

That's my story. Hope you folks enjoy.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC in the beginning.jpg (98.0 KB, Multiple views, 60 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC 94.jpg (82.7 KB, Multiple views, 56 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC 65.jpg (93.1 KB, Multiple views, 65 clicks)