View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:32 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1965 GMC 3500 Rescue Squad

Greetings to Jolly and the Group!

Looks like you got a little bit of snow there, (nice pictures by the way, a really beautiful truck) and glad your truck fired right up for you. But then, did you have any doubt that it wouldn't fire up? After all, it's a real truck, a GMC. I remember when we towed the 62 GMC pickup home for the engine swap I had planned for my old 63 Chevy, (I-292 six to GMC 305 V-6) the GMC hadn't been started or run in over a year. First thing I remember doing when I got the truck home was to put in new points and condenser and a battery (was -10F and the truck was outdoors when I did it), got in, pushed in the clutch, pulled the choke, cranked it over and got gas to the carb (the gas was rancid on top of all else), and the old fellow fired right up and ran like a Swiss watch. I guess that's what I like about those old V-6 engines is the fact that they were so reliable, and almost indestructable unless they were abused by running without or low on oil, continual overheating, or revving them beyond safe limits. God I miss that old truck!

George Bongert
Oshkosh Wisconsin