View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2017, 11:01 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HEI vs Pertronic pointless ignition systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
I'll be the first to tell you about the HEI conversion, I built it back in 1991 and was immediately happy with the results. The HEI is a much hotter ignition than the Pertronix, after the 478M conversion I built it up with the MSD coil and digital module with a built in rev limiter that includes a second Tach lead which will come in real handy when I decide to go with Howell Fuel Injection. As far as reliability I just keep a spare module in the glovebox that's easier to change than a set of points.

Greetings BigBlock!

While the GM HEI does produce a hotter spark and all of that, it is not without its drawbacks. I owned two Buicks, both equipped with the HEI, and never had the ignition module itself go bad. The part that went bad on both of my HEI's was the pick-up coil that was mounted on the "breaker plate" and had two little wires that were notorious for having one of those wires breaking, and there was no simple "roadside fix" since the entire distributor had to be removed and disassembled to replace the pick-up coil. Personally, I'd go with the "small" distributor (if you can find one) used on later Big Block V-6's and the Pertronix conversion. The Pertronix unit is much simpler and much easier to change than any of the parts in the GM HEI. I've used the Pertronix in agricultural applications, and I am very pleased with them and their simplicity of design.

But then, that's just my two cents worth here. Both the GM HEI and Pertronix have their advantages and disadvantages. It all boils down to a matter of personal choice.