View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2017, 12:42 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: dash lights come on when I depress brake/no brake lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
I read of people adding ground wires from tail light assembly to frame. Do you recommend? Also would your use one of the existing bolts on the tail light brackets? also, what guage wire would you use?
Thank you sir for any and all help.
I would recommend adding a 10 gauge wire (using ring terminals) between the rear of the bed and the rear of the frame (a short run of wire with enough slack for flexing a little). Once the metal is clean to the metal and the wire is secured, spray primer over the connection to help protect the connection. The hardware that hold the light assemble to the bed are known for corroding, make sure it also clean/new. Also make sure from the battery negative to the frame as well as the battery negative to the engine is good. Same goes for the battery positive to the starter. In summary if it look corroded/dirty its not making a good connection.

I heard of several cases where the engine ground was bad and the only ground path from the frame to the engine was through the transmission linkage. The transmission filled up with metal particles because the starting current ate up the parts (from electrolysis).

Dialectic grease is good for the inside of the connectors and bulb sockets.

Hope this fixed it for you.