View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:57 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: Replacement 305 for a 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post
I would think that a knock that went away after it warmed up, could not be to serious. If it was a rod bearing I think it would get worse. How is your oil pressure? You will see a drop in pressure if you have a bad bearing. Have you checked compression? I would not pull to investigate until I knew what was going on.
Once it warms up the only thing you hear is the valves happily tapping away. Oil pressure looks fine. It holds nice and steady.

I haven't done a compression test on it yet. I guess in part because other than the pre-warm up knocking it runs great. Over Christmas I was hauling about 1000 lbs (if you include my wife and the fat driver LOL) down the highway with no dramas at all. I did have to drop down to second once (I'm running a 3 spd manual), but that was on a rather steep incline off a scenic route.

I guess it's just one of those things where I know the sound can't be good news. So, I figure if I can find a quality replacement engine then the old man gets to stay on the road while I work out what's going on. If I can't find one, then I'll likely have to take it to someone for a rebuild, simply because I don't want him to sit around for ages while I learn what I'm doing and track down parts etc....

I really want to learn as much as I can, but I don't want to let the old boy fo fallow while I'm doing it. I'm greedy I guess LOL