View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Truck: Drove and Owned Many
BillT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1949 Ford Tractor

Well, my favorite of all 3 Fords is what your FIL has, the 8N. It has some improvements on it compared to the others.

Now although I always liked Ford Tractors, I got hooked on John Deere by going to the Tractor Pulls. They were a challenge to learn though as they not only have different series of each year, they also have variations of each series.

Although a great little Tractor, my 9N was getting to be a little small for me and I was looking to move up. I considered Ford, JD and a few others, but what really won me over to JD was when I was at a farm one day and the guy there showed me his '59 JD 435 with the factory 2-53 Detroit Diesel in it. I never knew they made one and was pretty impressed with it, especially since I was an old Detroit fan. It was also a step or two up in size, just about to what I was looking for. I didn't buy his, but some years later I bought another one near by, the one I still have today.

Although mine is a Diesel and a lot of people don't like the 2-Cylinder Gas "putt-putts" I've also learned to appreciate them as well. If the right one became available, I would be looking to buy another as a 2nd Tractor.

Bill

-'60 GMC 2500 Dump, 305 V-6
-'62 GMC 4000 Flatbed, 305 V-6
-'62 GMC 6500 Flatbed Dump, 478 V-6
-'67 GMC 7500 Box, 6V-53 Detroit
-'71 GMC 9500 Flatbed Dump, 637 V-8

Last edited by BillT; January 25th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.