View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:38 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Plaid valve covers

There have been many stories told about the Plaid Covers, they were Dealer Installed.

In 1963, the Plaid Covers were sent to the dealers to install on trucks in the showroom or the demo trucks. Then when a customer would ask about them, they would be told how the NEW 305E was better over the older 305D engine, fuel economy was one the selling points, "Thrifty as a Scott!", you see back in 1963 stereotyping was still OK.

As the trucks got sold the covers were not pulled off.

The following is told by Bob Bray;

There was some discussion on the 305 plaid valve covers. They had long been a big mystery to me as well, but I think I may have stumbled on an explaination some time ago. I was talking to a retired G.M.C. truck engineer (I think it was Don Meyer that I heard this story from!) who worked all through the 1960's and I asked him about those colorful valve covers and if they really ment anything. He said that as you know, the V-6 had a reputation of not being an economical engine. Many light truck customers, particularly those who had bought early 305A 1bbl. pickups, were not pleased with the fuel economy. G.M.C. sought to improve the economy of the 305 in light duty trucks, and was dyno-testing 305's with different carburetion and camshafts. Engineers in the dyno lab identified the improved engines by putting adhesive shelf paper on the valve covers, and wouldn't you just know it, 'Scotch Plaid' was what they were using. One day, some guys from marketing saw these engines being tested, and though it would be a great marking idea to actually build them that way.

So that kinda backs up the story about them being a marketing thing to sell trucks.

But now many years later, the covers can be found on years other then 1963, and many owners have found th covers and installed them on their own truck, and like myself, I had 3 sets, two have been made into wall art, and a Valve Cover Racer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.