Thread: Grampa's 60
View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2016, 05:00 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 3/4 Ton
Walys60 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grampa's 60

Thanks all! I am ITCHING to start working IN it instead of ON it. Just need to get it usable during summer months is all. The walls will be sheeted externally with plywood and just exposed insulation on the inside on the office and bathroom (next on the framing list). sub-flooring on the top for the 'loft' area and all that JUST so I can reach the top of the building to put up the foam board/batting.

And that's how I'm going to leave it for the summer so I can get started on the projects. I'm using the tail gate off a buddy's trailer as gate in my wall to the house right now, so need to get a real gate made as my very first project. BUT, I will be pulling the truck in at that point as well and get started on some much needed maintenance.

It started making a squealing noise, almost like a slipping belt, but more metallic then that. And at the same time, it quit idling. I changed the oil and the noise went away and it idled perfectly again. After about a week, it started squealing and not idling again. I have a feeling there is a pile of sludge in the oil pan due to the engine being soaked with sea-foam/marvel miracle oil/etc. when I first rescued it after 22 years of sitting...and the oil pump is what is making the squealing noise. I have only started it up and let it run for 10 min at a time a couple times a month since then.

Anyway I figure on, at least, pulling the motor up enough to get to the rear main seal, pulling the pan and cleaning it out/putting on a new gasket. Also going to replace the valve cover gaskets since they're seeping too. At that, she should be in good running condition but not sure that, when I have the motor dis-mounted anyway, will I just go ahead and pull it out and the tranny and do a full resto on the body....(sigh) kinda spendy and might keep it out of commission longer than I wanted right now.

Opinions appreciated:
I had a shop do the work when I originally rescued it and they did all the new plug wires, distributor, general tune up stuff, brakes, master cylinder, flushed the gas tank, new filter/oil in the oil bath. So, my thoughts of replacing the main seal, pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, are there other recommended items I should look at if I decide to put it back together and run it for a while?

Thanks!

Last edited by Walys60; May 4th, 2016 at 05:29 PM.