View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2016, 04:19 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305E Intake mod.

Wow... quite the load there TJ!
I'd like to toy with the idea of adding a SMALL 4 bbl carb (Carter AFB or maybe Rochester Quadrajet, maybe Holley Street Avenger) to the 351, but on a 351, 600 cfm would really be the useable limit. These engines were intended for low rpm, they have no harmonic balancer even. Doing mods than are only beneficial at 4000+ rpm will tear up these engines.

I think a 351 may be able to get even better fuel mileage if I were to run a small 4 bbl on it.

600 cfm on a 305 is just overkill. You'd likely get better low end response with a smaller carb. Having your cam reground to add about .020" lift and running custom higher compression pistons to be able to run magnum heads on a 305 (otherwise the big chambers will drop your cr below useable), that would require a little more carburetion, and make great power.

The thing that always gets me in the hot rod automobile community vs vintage motorcycle community, is that the bigger automotive engines mask mixture issues more than a smaller bike engine, so people never bother changing out carb jetting to fine tune the engines!

I have a wide and o2 sensor and AFR gauge/controller tailpipe sniffer setup nowadays. I have yet to put it on the GMC, but will when I run the 351C with the Holley 500 conversion. I hope to add an X pipe to the exhaust at some point, and maybe get some custom headers made. Dual exhaust is overrated, that's why H pipes became common and now the superior X pipe dual setup is popular. Same reason everyone started making 4 into 1 headers for 4 cylinder race bikes following Pops Yoshimura's lead...
*'77-'79 Suzuki GS motorcycles, '76 Rickman CR900 roadracer.
*Dirtbikes: 2 Kawasaki KDX220R's, '77 Suzuki PE250, '83 PE175