View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:51 PM

Truck: 1965 2500 Series
brettjohnson52 is on a distinguished road
Default 1965 gmc 305v6 ignition problems.

Hey guys looking for some insight on a problem I'm having. I've pulled a 65 gmc 2500 series out of the weeds, with a 305. I was hoping to get it running, to make my restoration and ls swap easier as I will need to move it around due to limited work space.
So steps I've taken are to run a compression test, which was good. Then it was time to get the starter and alternator rebuilt, which is done. Now in the step of redoing the ignition system. This is where I'm having problems. New parts: all under hood wiring, battery, battery cables, points (set at .16), rotor, cap, condenser, plugs and wires, and coil.
The problem that I'm having is there is no spark coming from the coil, I have constant power to the + side of the coil from the ignition switch and starter. And I have an intermittent spark coming from the points and condenser, to the - side of the coil. But still no spark from the coil. I've gone through a few new coils. But still the problem exist.
I'm starting to scratch my head on this one it all seems to be in order. I've tried even switch the wires coming to the coil still no dice.

Thanks for listening,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk