Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:11 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 3/4 ton
Dazzoman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubarlow View Post
Yes, it is the 305 V6. May upgrade to one of the bigger V6 engines if I can find one at a reasonable price. Looking for a better hood for mine, and I think the original color of my truck was the GMC "Terrace Blue." It was two toned with the blue and white. Not sure if I should restore it to the original glory, or keep the "patina" and just fix the cancer. I would like to find a better rear bumper and replace the original damaged chrome on the front. I definitely need to add backup lights on this thing. Just got trapped in a fast food drive-through today. I stopped to look at the menu, and decided against it. Tried to back up and some idiot pulled up behind me as I was backing. Had to get OUT of the truck, tap his window (He did not want to roll it down) and yell through the glass, "I have NO back up lights! I am TRYING to back up! If YOU back up and let me out, you can get in line!" The idiot backed up about 4 feet and would go no farther. I ended up driving through the grass next to the drive through to get out. I HATE this time of year. The whole "Christmas Rush" and "AFTER Christmas Sales" seems to either bring out the stupid in drivers or it brings out stupid drivers, I am not sure which. All I know is that they don't seem to know where they are going, and have ALL DAY to get there.
Oh yes holiday traffic is horrible !
Hot tip for you - contact Tom at Tom myers truck wreckers in Miami Oklahoma and he will send you an original 60s bumper . I got mine from him ( not shown in my pic because I still had the OEM white bumper that I sold this week for $75 on the truck ) but now I have an OEM chrome bumper I got from him for 150$ he shipped it to me . So i pulled out the 305E V6 this truck had in it originally because it wouldn't miss an gas station , the 305E is an bigger one that most so you might not wanna do that unless gas isnt an issue .
Funny , in 60-62 , GM painted plaid shirt pattern on the valve covers of the light trucks and nick named it "The Scotsman" engine until they found out the Scots , known for their frugility would not ever endorse such an engine so they pulled that idea away ha ha ha !
In 1987 I put an 292 straight 6 in it and have drove it like that since and yes an big increase in mileage was the first notable thing (w/ that original Muncie 4 spd I left in there ) .
Well that muncie finally died this yr and I researched and found I could probably put in an NP440 4 speed ( with overdrive on 4th ) and the gas mileage was increased like crazy .
I have decided to put in an 350 v8 this month and its going to be perfect for that NP440 MY6 tranny .
All that to say you should get away from the v6 because of the gas .
**** , Chevy put 283s in your truck with the same Muncie tranny with no problems .
Today you could put an modern 350 in there w/ all the trimmings :-)

Last edited by Dazzoman; December 31st, 2016 at 04:23 AM.