View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:17 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzoman View Post
Oh yes holiday traffic is horrible !
Hot tip for you - contact Tom at Tom myers truck wreckers in Miami Oklahoma and he will send you an original 60s bumper . I got mine from him ( not shown in my pic because I still had the OEM white bumper that I sold this week for $75 on the truck ) but now I have an OEM chrome bumper I got from him for 150$ he shipped it to me . So i pulled out the 305E V6 this truck had in it originally because it wouldn't miss an gas station , the 305E is an bigger one that most so you might not wanna do that unless gas isnt an issue .
Funny , in 60-62 , GM painted plaid shirt pattern on the valve covers of the light trucks and nick named it "The Scotsman" engine until they found out the Scots , known for their frugility would not ever endorse such an engine so they pulled that idea away ha ha ha !
In 1987 I put an 292 straight 6 in it and have drove it like that since and yes an big increase in mileage was the first notable thing (w/ that original Muncie 4 spd I left in there ) .
Well that muncie finally died this yr and I researched and found I could probably put in an NP440 4 speed ( with overdrive on 4th ) and the gas mileage was increased like crazy .
I have decided to put in an 350 v8 this month and its going to be perfect for that NP440 MY6 tranny .
All that to say you should get away from the v6 because of the gas .
**** , Chevy put 283s in your truck with the same Muncie tranny with no problems .
Today you could put an modern 350 in there w/ all the trimmings :-)
Oh, I could put in a small block 400, but I like the oddball stuff. The whole reason I got this truck was that my buddy who had it before me kept saying he was going to turn it into a 4 wheel drive with a 350 and I begged him not to. He lusted for my El Camino, and one day decided to trade. He is much happier with the Camino. He can smoke the back tires on it all day. I had de-tuned the car because it was so squirrelly with the 4-11s and the race built 350. Installed a 95 truck motor and an open diff instead of the limited slip with 4-11s in the Camino just so I could drive it to work without wrecking the car. I have no idea what the gear ratio on the open diff was, but it came from a V6 Cutlass, so it was highway gears. My buddy put the 4-11s back in and even with the truck motor, the car burns rubber in all 3 gears (TH350 trans). I just like the arguments I get into with people when they ask what engine I have in the truck. "So, what you got in it?" "You would not believe me if I told you." Raised eybrow, "So, what DO you have in it?" "305 V6." "You sure that it is not a v8?" "Nope, it is a V6." "Never made such a thing." Then, I open the hood and point. At that point I get, "That ain't no V6, that's a BIG block!" "Count the wires." I watch their mouths as they count, "One, two, three, four, five, six...." A puzzled look, a shake of the head and they usually walk away. Those that stay get an education on the old GMC medium duty truck motors. What I would really like to do is to get one of the 478 engines and drop it in just to mess with people. I love to point out that GMC made bigger V6s than Chevy made V8s at the time.

Now, don't take that wrong. I am a Chevy man. I currently own TWO '72 Chevy pickups and I LOVE them, but both are ODD. My two wheel drive has a 350 with a TH 375 transmission. My four wheel drive has all the options except AC. It has the full gauge cluster, Auto trans (TH 350), Power steering and brakes. Not to mention 3/4 ton four wheel drive. I have a small block 400 that I plan on building for one of the trucks (not sure yet which one but I am leaning toward the 2 wheel drive). I tend to mix and match. I drive what could be described as "rat rods" in the truest sense of the words.
Each of my vehicles is put together from what others have cast off.

Thanks for the lead on the bumper. Welcome to the group.