View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:52 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: Oil (I think) leak

Quote:
I would think, in a Country with Quite a few Land Rovers, a quarter size spot of oil would be good news. I belonged to a Landy club, you could always find the meets by following the oil trail.
Surprisingly, it's a bit of a nanny state over here. If you get out in the country it's not too bad. But, in the cities and suburbia there's a whole stack of rules and regulations looking for problems to solve. When it comes to cars, you can't get a roadworthy (similar to a safety inspection) if there's an oil leak of any kind.

The good news is I got the roadworthy after it got out of the shop, but before I put any miles on it (IE, before issues like this cropped up).

I know it's not the biggest deal in the world since it's not a big leak. But, I'm choosing to see it as a learning experience and an opportunity to tinker. Also, the old boy has a lot of years left in him. I want to make sure he's well looked after.

Quote:
Unless it's an automatic it'll use gear oil. Which has a distinct smell for sure. LOL! Especially after 50 years.
It's a manual. To be honest I wouldn't know what gear oil smells like. But, it definitely looks/smells like engine oil.

It's had all of its fluids/oils changed out (among a fairly long list of other stuff).

I'll do some crawling around underneath and see if I can definitively identify the source of the leak, rather than just where it looks like it's dripping onto the ground from.