View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:30 PM

Truck: 1965 1500 Wideside
lhtex120 is on a distinguished road
Default Need some radio mounting HELP!

I am pretty new to the 6066 business. I took a Greyhound bus 2000 miles from Liberty Hill, Texas to Klamath Falls, Oregon in April and drove a one-owner 1965 1500 Wideside with 305E, SM420 home with me. It is 95+ percent original with 160,000 miles on it. Got home no trouble. The engine had been rebuilt at 130,000 miles. It was kept indoors. I am giving it some TLC now. Have done the usual window seals and felt, door seals, tune up (still has points) and cleaning. The only rust is front fenders which I plan to replace. The HD Heater rebuild was interesting. The truck had no radio so I was able to get an OEM radio with correct GMC knobs and the brackets (two small braces). I still need a speaker bracket but have ordered a speaker. I need some serious help on mounting the radio. I can't quite picture the setup on the side (or back) brackets for the radio itself. I am usually pretty handy as I have been working on GM cars since 1964 and trucks since 1986, but a picture or two of the mounts from underneath would be nice. The 1140 page Shop Manuals have nothing on the radio. Can somebody tell me what I need to know to get the radio installed close to factory specs? I plan to write my story of the door-check replacement saga and my take on the parts available and how to improve them, but first the radio. Any help will be greatly appreciated!