View Single Post
Old February 29th, 2016, 04:56 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default '47 International KB-2

Well... I couldn't help myself... Seems as if I have to stay busy messing with stuff...

I bought this 3/4 ton truck over the weekend. It's mostly complete, except motor/trans, glass, floor board and front bumper.

The hood, cab, and bed don't have any dents, so I'm going to clear coat as is. All the fenders have dents, so I'll do my best to bang out, smooth out with bondo and shoot with flat black.

I retired my grandpa's '77 Chevy 1/2 ton farm truck about 7-8 years ago, which is why I bought the '62 GMC. However, several years before I retired the Chevy, I blew the head gasket and rebuilt the motor and attaching components (alt/rad/starter/etc). The rest of the truck was in horible shape, but it was all I could afford at the time.

I stil have the truck and plan to take the I6 from the Chevy and put it in the International. I have no idea how much of a task that will be (frame spacing/motor mounts/etc), but I will give it a shot. My plan is to keep this a low budget, yet fun project. I don't plan to chop it or any of that stuff. Other than the fenders, it's in too good of shape.

The people I bought the truck from, said the wheels are from a T-Bird, but they are 15" 48 spoke and I haven't been able to confirm that yet. Anyway, I plan to sell the rims and put on the simple steel wheels with chrome baby moons, as the orig International chrome hubs are too expensive (even used ones).

There is one item I cannot figure out on this truck... Behind the driver's side cab/door, on the side of the bed, is a ledge/shelf that flips up and down. In the photo, it is flipped up. It's in the same spot where some truck models installed the spare tire, but on this model, the spare tire is mounted under the bed (like our GMCs). This compenent is too high for a step and also too high for a jerry gas can. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '47 International KB-2.JPG (598.4 KB, Multiple views, 24 clicks)