View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carbon Buildup and Stuck Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
'tis funny.
From what I can find on Castrol's site, they no longer manufacture "Syntec" it is now called "Edge". They replaced the Zinc with Titanium for better protection at higher heat. Some of the old car forums have been discussing the Zinc levels in Castrol Syntec 5-50....

What I am seeing reading all these oil company sites, and commentaries, is that the government regulations restricting the use of zinc has created the demand for titanium to replace it.

Actually quite interesting reads.

Hemmings has an article on which zinc formulations to look for, but it is out of date (2012). Apparently though Castrol was one of the first to use zinc, and as the amounts allowed were decreased they turned to other additives currently using titanium for the same effect. With the added bonus that apparently the titanium does not need the phosphorous, so the carbon buildup due to phosphorous in the oil isn't happening.
Interesting reading! Amsoil still has high zinc levels in their oil. One for break in purposes and the other for after break in. Even Hemmings oil has a higher zinc level than most. Joe Gibbs and others which i can't remember have zinc. The rotella 15w-40 I run in my 305 has zinc in it.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.