6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old February 5th, 2014, 07:36 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default New boron based ZDDP Replacement

There's engineering/chemistry company called Archoil (http://archoil.com/) that came up with a "friction modifier" made from a boron/potassium mix thats better coating and slipperier than zinc without the negative effects. They recommended for flat tappet cams in place of zddp additive.

Have any of you tried it? Have you heard of archoil?

It's $36.00 at amazon for 16 oz. Takes 1.2 oz per quart of oil (7.2 oz for 305D), so about like putting another 1/2 jug of rotella in I guess.

They also make a boron based grease with a low "washout" rate of 0.5. The normal bearing grease washout rate is 3-7. Amsol is 1.70.
I'm thinking of using it in my hubs when I work on them this summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:08 PM

Truck: 1965 K1002
OKGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New boron based ZDDP Replacement

Did you ever decide to use this stuff or hear anymore about it?
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:02 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I have the grease on order now (should be here tomorrow) for my axles and hubs, but I haven't tried the oil. I already had two jugs of Rotella on hand so I just used that this time around.

They have a bunch of friction modifiers. Archoil 9100 is what they recommend for oil, if you try it.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; May 20th, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old June 21st, 2014, 01:56 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC View Post
Did you ever decide to use this stuff or hear anymore about it?
After Cecilia started knocking with the last oil change I did decide to go ahead and get some Archoil friction modifier. It came in this week.

It had a sales sheet with it too. One of the more interesting things it said was that the Boron used makes for a good, hard surface for preventing wear that's similar to diamonds in hardness.

An added bonus is that you don't use a whole 16 oz per oil change. You only use 1.12 oz per quart, meaning this is a little over two oil changes worth.

I'll be putting it in this weekend to see if it changes the knock.