6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old November 13th, 2017, 12:11 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default My story: Barn Find 1963 GMC Custom big window

Hey guys - long time no see. This Summer I have been busy on my 1960 and 1963 Chevy truck projects, so I haven't had much reason to be on this forum lately but I have something awesome to share with you guys.
This is the "story" of how I came to own this awesome little pickup:

Several years ago in about 2010, I drove one my old 64 GMC Custom long wideside to my sandblasters' house about 20 miles away to get some wheels blasted. When I got there, a fella was just pulling in ahead of me to get his 20ft car hauler type trailer dropped off for blasting. I admired the design of his trailer, and made comments about its features, asking where he got it, etc and he said he'd bought it from a man who also incidentally owned a GMC nearly identical to mine that he had bought new. So obviously, my interest peaked and and I explained that I was an absolute GMC “Nut” and even called such online, so seeing my high interest, he went on to tell me that he himself was an antique Chevy car collector, owning dozens of restored Chevelles, Impalas, 55-57 Belairs, etc and that he was close personal friends with this older man who had the GMC. I pressed for details, and he said the truck was a 1963 GMC short wideside w/ BBW and all the Custom Chrome, and that is was factory Solid Black to boot. As my mouth began to water he went on to say the truck was bought new at Hurst GMC Pontiac in Decatur Alabama in late 1962, and was driven to this man's powdery dry barn in nearby Priceville (maybe 10 min from the dealership) where it stayed ever since - only being driven once a month to pull a horse trailer to the livestock auction. At that point, my fever was steadily rising and I had to ask if it could be had, but he said the truck had been promised to him if it was to ever be sold, because the man had three sons and a daughter and already none had been able to agree on which one should rightfully own it should their Dad pass on, so the man told his kids none of them would have it, and it was going to the collector one day to be restored and cared for - something he fairly well knew would never happen should any one of his own kids get it anyway. So he said basically he was waiting for the day to come when he could finally go get the truck. Hearing that, I knew my chances were zero, so I shook his hand, and dropped my wheels and left. I stewed on that story for months following the chance encounter with the man I’d met, but there was not much I could do but wish it was mine, so I eventually basically forgot all about it.
So now, fast-forward 7 years later to Labor Day 2017 - I had worked feverishly to finish work on my also un-restored, one owner factory solid black BBW short fleetside 1963 Chevy C10 this summer, and it was finally done in time for the big Smith Lake show - so I drove it there and about an hour had gone by when a guy came up to me saying he physically couldn't believe his eyes looking at it - he thought at a distance, my truck was the one from the shop where he worked, and that now seeing mine to be a Chevy it was definitely this other trucks' twin sister. So, peaking my interest, I asked about the other truck and where he worked, and he said the mirror image truck was a factory black BBW, short Wideside GMC his boss had just procured from the original owner. He went on to say the truck was slated to be the next LS-swap vehicle he was to start on for the collector he worked for, and that this GMC was the only one he'd ever seen with factory Plaid Valve covers. I immediately asked what the owner was intending to do with those valve covers, and he said “he's gonna sell the whole engine - we're pulling it this week, so you should ride up to Priceville to our shop and see it” . So, dismayed at the fact they were ruining the truck in question, I took his name and number and he described where the shop was in Priceville, which turned out to only be maybe 20 min from my house.
So, after a few days following the show, I picked up on a whim and hauled my butt up there thinking at a minimum I might could save the rare plaid valve covers and possibly another would-be junked 305 V6. I got to the shop easy enough and immediately saw the 63 Black truck sitting out front - incidentally, the mechanics were in process of swapping the flat tires and original wheels over to roller rally wheels when I pulled up. I walked up and the mechanic and I immediately recognized each other from meeting at the show a few days prior, so I asked where the V6 was assuming they'd already pulled it. He said “its still in it - take a look around while I finish up”. So I popped the hood and couldn't believe how untouched everything was - the plaid valve covers were mint and appeared to have never been off, nor had anything else ever been touched, radiator fluid decal was even still in place, as were all the factory white chalk markings on the firewall, non-rusted inner fenders, solid core support, etc. So while he was busy changing tires and wheels, I went all over the truck and under it, etc and found EVERYTHING was solid, unmolested and totally rust free minus two small boomerang shaped holes in each side of the floorboard right in front of the seat mounts above the step sills in that corner where the rubber mat meets the sill plate - where dirt and mud is known to collect and rust through on so many 60’s trucks. I couldn't believe this was an Alabama truck at first since our high Humidity level typically rusts out whatever the high rainfall doesn’t get. But to my surprise, this GMC had 100% solid door bottoms, no rust in the dog legs or above windshield inside or out – none in the cab corners either. I couldn't believe it. So I told the mechanic after thoroughly reviewing every usually bad spot on the truck that I felt it was a shame to see such a rare well-patina'd factory black custom truck end up ruined by aftermarket mods, and he said “yeah, we talked about that and I think so too, but I just do what the boss wants done – so let’s call Lonnie and see what he wants for the engine”. Even hearing the owners name still didn’t dawn on me what truck I was looking at - So he rang Lonnie, the owner, and he said "that “GMC Nut” I told you I met at the show is here wanting to know what you want for this V6 engine". I could hear the owners voice through the cell phone’s speaker when he said "is that GMC Nut from over in Arab by chance?" to which he replied "yep - that's him". Then I heard the owner say "I’ve met him - ask him if he wants the whole truck" (I nearly died at that moment because at that moment I knew what truck I was looking at) so the mechanic turned the phone away from his mouth and said "he wants to know if you want the whole truck?" So, not caring at that point what I might be getting myself into, I said "Heck yeah I do!". So the mechanic and owner spoke a few minutes and he said "is it worth 5,000 to you?" now I will be honest, a GMC locked up in a dry barn since 1987 and not getting driven for that long needs a LOT of work to make driveable and dependable, so paying 5K was not necessarily a race-horse deal, but this truck had great well-known local history and to be honest, I am a GMC “Nut” so I sprang at the chance to get it and didn’t even haggle – I just said “yes I would”. The Mechanic turned back to the phone, told Lonnie what I’d said, and then turned to me and said “you just bought it”. So, whether or not 5K was a good deal or not was never the question for me on this one – I saved it from certain destruction, and I drive all my trucks daily and weekly – so she is almost done at the shop as we speak. New radiator core, clutch slave cyl, brake lines and hoses, tune up stuff, fuel pump, and a gas tank boil out for starters. 305E runs like a top with no smoke, and I found the truck to only show 59K on the odometer which has been confirmed with the original owner as correct. The Deluxe seat was recovered in the 70’s or 80’s but this Black 63 GMC came with a Turquoise and Fawn armrest and Turquoise vinyl & fabric seat if you can believe it. Factory AM radio still in place, so thank God and Jesus no one ever cut the radio hole. Fawn floormat still in place too. Original owner decided to rattle can 100% of the factory Fawn interior paint with grey primer in an effort to prevent what he saw to be surface rust “freckles” showing up in it, so I’m not bananas about him doing that, but who knows – maybe it did stop further humidity damage by covering the original paint. I can get the interior re-painted, re-do the seat to correct Turquoise fabric and vinyl, etc and just not touch the fantastic patina outside and make it a great driver. No rare options on this truck really – just Custom Cab and Comfort, big back window, radio and chrome bumpers mostly. No original wood left in the bed, but it has all four original wheels I need to repaint (I’ll be asking you guys about what the correct wheel paint color is next) so very soon I’ll have everything re-done mechanically where she can be driven – I can’t wait. Here are some shots of it for you guys to check her out….hope you enjoyed the story anyways
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC Front view main.jpg (182.9 KB, Multiple views, 35 clicks)
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC Custom Cab.jpg (135.5 KB, Multiple views, 26 clicks)
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC main.jpg (177.8 KB, Multiple views, 30 clicks)
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC pass side straightness.jpg (159.0 KB, Multiple views, 22 clicks)
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC 305 engine 2.jpg (178.8 KB, Multiple views, 30 clicks)

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)

Last edited by GMCNUT; November 13th, 2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:55 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: My story: Barn Find 1963 GMC Custom big window

Such a great turnaround ending, and over 7 years in the making to finally happen! You truly are the GMC Nut; Congratulations.
Old November 13th, 2017, 02:07 PM

Truck: 1965
RichG is on a distinguished road

Cool story...and to think it happened in my backyard!!!
Old November 13th, 2017, 02:11 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky61 View Post
Such a great turnaround ending, and over 7 years in the making to finally happen! You truly are the GMC Nut; Congratulations.
Thank you Funky! I just cannot believe that I ended up getting the very truck this totally random stranger had told me about all those years earlier....what's the chances his mechanic would even be in Cullman at the same time I was when both of us rarely attend that show and him incidentally see my Black truck to even think to mention the GMC? I could have driven a different truck, or went to another show that day, not at all, chances seem a million to one this worked out the way it did - crazy

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old November 13th, 2017, 02:17 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Here's a few other pictures too. Check out the awesome dealer accessory chrome mirrors - love those. One pic is of the radiator anti-freeze decal still on the baffle if you can believe it. Also snapped a picture of the firewall markings that say "4982" which I wonder if that correlates with something you guys know what is? its not part of the VIN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC awesome mirrors.jpg (129.2 KB, Multiple views, 20 clicks)
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC Antifreeze decal.jpg (156.9 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC firewall 4982 marking.jpg (154.8 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC front underside driver inner.jpg (94.5 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg Black 63 GMC Steering wheel area.jpg (141.2 KB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)

Old November 13th, 2017, 02:23 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichG View Post
Cool story...and to think it happened in my backyard!!!
You know, I forgot you were in Decatur Rich - yeah, this truck had never left Morgan Co so I am currently hunting a Morgan Co "52" tag from 63 to go on it when I register it. Currently still registered in the original owners name. Sorry for swiping this one but it was never going to be up for public sale where you'd have seen it anyways so at least it got saved

Old November 14th, 2017, 01:40 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you got that truck instead of a bagging LS swapper! It will live on as a real GMC!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:06 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDAC View Post
I'm glad you got that truck instead of a bagging LS swapper! It will live on as a real GMC!

DAC
Thank you GMCDAC - I always keep em' 100% stock so she will be well cared for

Old November 18th, 2017, 03:14 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Super happy you were able to save a good truck from a doom of worthless aftermarket crap. In my opinion a Collector keeps them original...so that guy is no collector.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 10th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Truck: 1961 Stepside-305 V6
GTS61 is on a distinguished road

Cool story. You actually got a great deal compared to me on the price. I bought a 61 wide side with rusty bottom doors which I cut off and replaced. The fenders front and back had already been repaired and the bed where the wood was against had rusted so I fixed that. I too am trying to keep it close to as original with a few upgrades.
I'm almost done with restoring it to my specs for a daily driver (3 years). I did install Vintage Air AC also. My brother in North Dakota just found a 61 Apache in awesome shape from an older farmer. He got it for $550. Luckyyyyy!! Good luck on your new find!

Greg-GTS61