6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old July 14th, 2017, 09:18 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: Running rich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Couple simpler things to check to,

Timing....What's your initial set at?

Air filter....that one is pretty small and restrictive....is it full of dust and dirt?

Also check the choke adjustment for the heck of it, may be out of adjustment causing the butterfly to be closed just enough to make the engine run to rich.
The filter doesn't look spotless.... But, I don't think it looks too awful? Thoughts?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old July 14th, 2017, 02:42 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

If the element was originally white I'd say it's time for a new one. lol

I'd still check timing and look into that carb though; the fact you don't need the choke says something. When the engine is hot.....have you ever found it flooded out aka hard to start? Wondering if the needle is worn out enough to allow fuel to bypass.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 14th, 2017, 04:24 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
If the element was originally white I'd say it's time for a new one. lol

I'd still check timing and look into that carb though; the fact you don't need the choke says something. When the engine is hot.....have you ever found it flooded out aka hard to start? Wondering if the needle is worn out enough to allow fuel to bypass.
When it's warm, it's first time, every time on starting. Every now and then I've got issues starting from cold. But, that generally only happens once the plugs are nearing the end of their lives.
I'll do some tinkering with the timing and the carb and let you know how I go.....

Old July 15th, 2017, 12:38 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

With the engine running look down the carburetor and see if there is fuel dripping (or streaming) out of the boosters. If there is then the float is too high and it will make the engine run rich. To fix this the float level need to be adjusted.
Old July 15th, 2017, 04:03 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Running rich, no air supply. Get rid of that air cleaner and get a REAL BIG ONE like you are supposed to have. THEN see what happens before adjusting and opening up carb. Rough calculation: With the diameter of that filter and the louvered hood, You have less than 25% air flow volume of what the motor needs. You are, in fact, running with a "choke" on all the time. You could be as low as 10% of required air volume. I can't see the louver gaps. When you get that fixed, you will think you have a dragster. Smokin the tires every take off. Not really

Last edited by AZKen; July 15th, 2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old July 15th, 2017, 04:27 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Running rich, no air supply. Get rid of that air cleaner and get a REAL BIG ONE like you are supposed to have. THEN see what happens before adjusting and opening up carb.
Moderately adequate minds think alike lol I'm trying to track down an appropriate housing unit and filter..... Something of a challenge over here.

Old July 15th, 2017, 04:47 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

If you can locate a large air cleaner from a 4bbl V8, there are adapters that will fit your ww 2bbl and I may have one for you
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:28 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Running rich, no air supply. Get rid of that air cleaner and get a REAL BIG ONE like you are supposed to have. THEN see what happens before adjusting and opening up carb. Rough calculation: With the diameter of that filter and the louvered hood, You have less than 25% air flow volume of what the motor needs. You are, in fact, running with a "choke" on all the time. You could be as low as 10% of required air volume. I can't see the louver gaps. When you get that fixed, you will think you have a dragster. Smokin the tires every take off. Not really
Not as big as I was wanting, but it fit like a glove and is much improved over the old one (that's it on top).
It drives differently... I think more along the lines of how it's supposed to behave though. I've noticed I can hear the electric fuel pump more now. Would you expect that? Also, my oil pressure appears to be lower. Not sure if that's just a coincidence. But, it's one of those things where because I drive it every day, I'm quite familiar with how it behaves and sounds....

Old July 15th, 2017, 07:44 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
If you can locate a large air cleaner from a 4bbl V8, there are adapters that will fit your ww 2bbl and I may have one for you
Shockingly, the local Autobarn had one that fit. Not as big as what I was hoping. But a massive improvement i reckon.....
The first place I went to SuperCheap Auto) acted like I was asking for the holy grail.... Lol

Old July 17th, 2017, 10:05 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

I've not had a chance to check the dwell, timing and carb yet. But, the larger filter definitely seems to be making a difference. In the past, once the oil pressure was up I could just drive off. I've actually got to use a bit of choke to start it. Also, it takes a minute or two to run even enough that I can de-choke (is that a word? Lol) and drive off. I'm thinking this is all positive.
I have noticed the electric fuel pump is making an odd hissing sound now though. Could this be because it's now having to work a bit harder?