6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old September 1st, 2014, 09:39 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: 1960 k1001

Added pic of the 56 above. The PS seems to be a well done DIY Saginaw setup with a welded/adapted pitman. Haven't investigated it much yet. You can see the two hole PS pump bracket under Motor Mount. You can also see the upper shock mount has been Gusseted because it broke as the other one did, Seem fairly common on 4X4. Since this is GMC's first truck of the new generation, I will give them a break
I will also build an equal or better mount. I do realize it lasted a long, long time with probably some abuse. I dig this truck. I don't want to bag it, lower it, jack it, hot rod it, but not opposed to restomod with safety and reliability in mind, maybe. It is an A block but the intake says 63 (I think). Came with a Two Jet and a WW.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Last edited by AZKen; September 2nd, 2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: verbiage
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:09 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Holy crap. As grandpa says if you built a lawn mower it would weigh a 1000 pounds. Steering looks stout.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:15 AM
Banned

Here is how I look at a 60-70 front 4x4 axle. I won't spent more than 200 I have about 20 of these 1/2 and 3/4 ton front axles. I will swap in a 70's d44 axle.and walk away. I currently am not running a closed knuckle GM front axle because of the lack of parts. And I have enough parts to make 5 or 6 .
Old September 7th, 2014, 02:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

That's ME!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It keeps me motivated and makes me wanna get to working on her all the time. That's a great looking truck Ken. Good luck with the build!

You need about 500 more pictures in it though!

Side note, I'm rebuilding my T221 and the parts aren't all that hard to find. Most of the stuff seems to just be cross compatible with other things so far if I remember right. I got sidetracked after ordering my parts, but I'll start again on it soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 8th, 2014, 06:36 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Thanks FMAP. I just got a 305E, saw it run. It's dirty, grimy. Can't stand that. trying to get the monster on my engine stand to clean, check things, gasketize it, paint and run it. So hard to deal with by myself but I'm getting there. Busted the rubber off the mounts, dang it! So anyway, now I have two V6's, a runner E and a parts A. A month ago I couldn't even spell V6. Camera broke and it takes me forever to study and buy something. Will have pics soon. Still doing complete brake system and that's not interesting to anyone. Need to inspect front spindles, etc as Barry mentioned. Got all the retaining rings off but lock gear "stuck" like others have been. Waiting for book to show up so I will feel better about jerking on things in there. I have a feeling that 1960 being the first year, there are things on this truck that got changed/improved maybe even in 61? that spiral retaining ring was not the best idea. (Warn hubs) My book is 1960 specific, if I ever get it. Media mail!!!!

Last edited by AZKen; September 8th, 2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: clarify
Old September 8th, 2014, 08:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Still doing complete brake system and that's not interesting to anyone. Need to inspect front spindles, etc as Barry mentioned. Got all the retaining rings off but lock gear "stuck" like others have been. Waiting for book to show up so I will feel better about jerking on things in there. I have a feeling that 1960 being the first year, there are things on this truck that got changed/improved maybe even in 61? that spiral retaining ring was not the best idea. (Warn hubs) My book is 1960 specific, if I ever get it. Media mail!!!!
WRONG! Lots of lurkers have no idea how to do that so posting your progress, even on stupid stuff (in my thread I'm painting wheels, lol) is helpful. You'd be surprised the PMs you get from people out of the blue about the stuff you never even thought about.

I tore my hubs apart with Barry's help this past spring. Check my build for part numbers and how to avoid frustrations. Easy peasy. Those retaining rings were weird, but they work. I couldn't even FIND mine when I started LOL. Barry, JB, and GMCDAC (iirc) just about beat me with a wrench trying to show me where they were over the internet. I was clueless.

. Search Knuckle and it'll show up. I think it starts on page 31.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 8th, 2014, 09:00 PM

Super good thread, saved it. thanks.
Old September 8th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Banned

Mechanically the 60-66 Gmc 4x4 trucks are basically the same. Besides the body and trim changes the biggest changes are electrical. There are 3 underdash harnesses and 2 engine harneses. Plus the inline 6 engine harness. These electrical components are not the same as chevy.
Old September 8th, 2014, 09:30 PM

I thought I noticed some subtle changes to 4X4 front frame like shock mounting, motor mounts. My tranny cross member unbolted, the cross member on the 63, I just took the motor from, was riveted. That caused a lot of trouble, tranny will NOT come out with motor as it did with the 60. They must have dropped the body down over it not realizing the tranny was "trapped". The guy who decided to rivet the cross member didn't talk to the tranny/motor people.

Last edited by AZKen; September 8th, 2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clarify
Old September 8th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Banned

Every once and a while I see bolted tranny cross member. Most are riveted. Except hydramatic trucks. There are lots of little things. There are 3 styles of rear upper shock mount on leaf spring trucks. All go in the same spot. However the mechanicals are mostly identicall.