6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old November 10th, 2016, 12:26 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I forgot to mention a part number on that rear seal, it's MasterPro PT 9613S

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

For the rest of the gaskets I went with ClassicParts

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; November 10th, 2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old November 10th, 2016, 03:13 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Lots of good info as usual with your posts, Fetch, keep it coming!

Thanks, DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old November 10th, 2016, 03:14 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Looks good! Transmissions can be scary. haha

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old December 18th, 2016, 11:48 PM

Truck: 64 Longbed
mvmtoys is on a distinguished road

Old December 19th, 2016, 01:13 AM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road

Did you find all the needles? I waited to look at a manual until I had bearings all over, somewhere I found a count on how many of each size I needed, good thing I was short some, they were stuck down in the tranny.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:36 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Lots of good info as usual with your posts, Fetch, keep it coming!

Thanks, DAC

Thanks Dac! I try. Never know when I'll have to re-do a project

They sure can. This is my second trip down this road though so I'm hardened steel now.

Quote:

Quote:
Did you find all the needles? I waited to look at a manual until I had bearings all over, somewhere I found a count on how many of each size I needed, good thing I was short some, they were stuck down in the tranny.
Haha! Yep, I had that problem the first time too. I use a magnet to dig them all out now. I forget the count, but there's just enough to make you think you got 'em all plus 1.

I've been busy so I haven't finished this project. This week the Powder Puff was out of school (finally!) so we got to work. I love being able to scrub the trans case in the sink without worrying about The Wife knowing. They're so small!

After the scrub, re-scrub, and Ospho wash we were ready to Por-15 him. Here's the Powder Puff playing with the cheapo throw-away paint brush. She got that outerwear cammo outfit for her birthday this year (12) so she can go on her first deer hunt. I gotta get my dehydrator ready for that jerky!

And now the application. We gave him three coats this time, instead of two. No reason why except I saw someone else do three coats somewhere. The instructions say two.

I also loosened the bolts so they don't get painted together.

The bolts I had removed altogether got their little caps painted too. I stuck them in pencil holes in this moth ball box to let them dry. Only two coats on them though, I don't need them changing sizes on me.

And look at this! Some of my bolts came clean with my ATF/Actone mixture (homemade PB Blaster) and kept their original reddish paint on! I'm going to see if I can match it again.

One little note about making your own soak - don't put it in a Folgers plastic coffee can. Those things will hold the liquid, but the second someone knocks them off the bench you'll have your own little environmental disaster to clean up. And it ain't fun. Ask me how I know.....

The next time I make some I'm putting it in something with a screw-top lid!

Here's the case all painted up.

And this was supposed to be a shot of the cover (my most desperately needed part) but I guess my photographer's aim was off.

And that's it. I just need to find a paint color and get to work on the heavy stuff. The Powder Puff and I are going fishin on Monday to get ready for our first tournament, then next weekend (Jan 1) we're going deer hunting. That might be a story too.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; December 23rd, 2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old December 24th, 2016, 12:45 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks Dac! I try. Never know when I'll have to re-do a project

They sure can. This is my second trip down this road though so I'm hardened steel now.

Hey, Fetch and crew: Good to see you back skinnin' your knuckles. Powder Puff is sure growing! Won't be long 'til you'll have more boys wanting to help tinker, than you can shake a stick at.----Weell, maybe you'll need to shake the stick.

Haha! Yep, I had that problem the first time too. I use a magnet to dig them all out now. I forget the count, but there's just enough to make you think you got 'em all plus 1.

I've been busy so I haven't finished this project. This week the Powder Puff was out of school (finally!) so we got to work. I love being able to scrub the trans case in the sink without worrying about The Wife knowing. They're so small!

After the scrub, re-scrub, and Ospho wash we were ready to Por-15 him. Here's the Powder Puff playing with the cheapo throw-away paint brush. She got that outerwear cammo outfit for her birthday this year (12) so she can go on her first deer hunt. I gotta get my dehydrator ready for that jerky!

And now the application. We gave him three coats this time, instead of two. No reason why except I saw someone else do three coats somewhere. The instructions say two.

I also loosened the bolts so they don't get painted together.

The bolts I had removed altogether got their little caps painted too. I stuck them in pencil holes in this moth ball box to let them dry. Only two coats on them though, I don't need them changing sizes on me.

And look at this! Some of my bolts came clean with my ATF/Actone mixture (homemade PB Blaster) and kept their original reddish paint on! I'm going to see if I can match it again.

One little note about making your own soak - don't put it in a Folgers plastic coffee can. Those things will hold the liquid, but the second someone knocks them off the bench you'll have your own little environmental disaster to clean up. And it ain't fun. Ask me how I know.....

The next time I make some I'm putting it in something with a screw-top lid!

Here's the case all painted up.

And this was supposed to be a shot of the cover (my most desperately needed part) but I guess my photographer's aim was off.

And that's it. I just need to find a paint color and get to work on the heavy stuff. The Powder Puff and I are going fishin on Monday to get ready for our first tournament, then next weekend (Jan 1) we're going deer hunting. That might be a story too.
Hey, Fetch: Glad to see you back skinnin' knuckles again. Powder Puff is sure growing. Won't be long 'till you'll have more boys hangin' around wanting to mow the lawn, wash parts, or clean the shop than you can count.

Just wanted to wish all of you down there a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" from our tribe here in the windy flatland.

Cayoterun.net

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old December 24th, 2016, 04:46 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Trans looks great! Nice an shiny!

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old January 10th, 2017, 02:28 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC Suburban 4x4
kchampagne is on a distinguished road

Hey Fetch, I vaguely remember you had a crack in your bell housing. Did you ever fix it/find a replacement? If not, I saw this one on the other site.

Old October 12th, 2017, 03:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Hey, Fetch: Glad to see you back skinnin' knuckles again. Powder Puff is sure growing. Won't be long 'till you'll have more boys hangin' around wanting to mow the lawn, wash parts, or clean the shop than you can count.

Just wanted to wish all of you down there a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" from our tribe here in the windy flatland.

Cayoterun.net
Buddy I'm so sorry. I haven't been back since Christmas break with the kids. I hope you all had a good one! And Merry Christmas for 2017 too!

Tell the "Fence Post" I said Hi!

Quote:
Trans looks great! Nice an shiny!

Thanks TJ. It's still slick as a mirror. That Por 15 is expensive but very nice stuff.

Quote:
Hey Fetch, I vaguely remember you had a crack in your bell housing. Did you ever fix it/find a replacement? If not, I saw this one on the other site.

No, that wasn't me KC. I do have a small leak at the slave cylinder but for now I've just been refilling my brake fluid and carrying on.

I ended up blowing the lower unit on the boat (bottom bearing rusted out) and had to put it on the shelf for rebuilding so I slammed the transmission back together and put it in the shed for safekeeping, still shiny black.

Then, to get Cecilia ready for winter I tried to run her a bit with antifreeze in the radiator but she wouldn't start. I cranked and cranked till the battery ran down then I sprayed starting fluid in and she'd puff a little and try to start, but not really.

I figured it maybe wasn't getting gas to the carb so I poured a little gas in and that was gone in a second. She has a new pump so I figured that couldn't be it. The gauge said I had 1/4 tank. So I stuck a broomhandle down the gas fill neck and it came back wet so I was stumped.

Well after pulling off the under cab filter again I noticed that almost no gas ran out and up my arm (in my hair, and everywhere else it likes to go while your hand is trying to screw the cap back on...) so either there was a blockage in the tank or there was no gas.

So I pulled off the sending unit in the tank. It's just about 6 little screws, a grounding wire, and a tube connection (no pics this time, sorry!).

And the float came out with a big split in it. Also, it wouldn't go all the way down and still register on the gauge. And the tank was empty except for a little dab in the bottom, apparently below the pickup line.

Isn't this the second or third time I've ran out of gas now? What's wrong with me?

Anyway, so I ordered a replacement from Classic Parts for $39.00 shipped. I love how so much of this stuff is cheap as dirt.

Also, I got the 30 ohm version. There's a 90 ohm version too, but from the website:

Quote:
30 ohm sending units work with original style fuel gauges up thru 1966 trucks. 90 ohm sending units were used on most 1967 and later trucks. If you are using modern gauges (Dakota Digital, Classic Instruments, etc.. ) make sure you are using a 90 ohm sending unit to get a correct fuel level reading.