6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:15 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road
Default Diesel swap?

I seem to get various responses when trolling forums for information on diesel swaps, I know at one point there was the toro-flow (i literally have 0 knowledge on this engine) but i'm currently looking at a 1964-65 GMC step side, no idea what motor is in it, or even if it is still running (last i heard it was drivable last summer). Judging by its condition (yellowish white and white body panels) its had body panels either replaced or sat in partial shade for a long time, it has large dirt tires on it (but no lift as far as i can tell) and appears to be 2wd. As much as i love the idea of rebuilding a 305 V6 (got laughed at by my local machinest, apparently that is a "joke" engine that people tell new mechanics... sigh... (he's roughly 60-something so he should know better!) it may not be financially feasible, though i would keep and rebuild it over time to place in a second truck (i'm really starting to love these engines from just what i've researched!).

Sorry, long post. anyways, down to my question, does anybody know and decent diesel swaps for these trucks? my goal is a 2wd step side diesel with decent mileage (if applicable, not a huge deal) and slightly larger (not huge, but size-appropriate) tires compared to stock, i plan to restore the body and paint it all the way around, inside and out and would like a nice engine, i don't want to be "just another SBC 350" on the road as these are over-used (though the product support is almost worth it!).
I thought of a 4BT as i know a bit about them, though i don't want a under-powered truck for it's application as i have seem them used primarily in toyota FJ40's (similar to a wrangler)
I couldn't find much info on pre-70 diesel swaps, i found maybe one, but it was a suburban.

Sorry for the really long first post, but from what i see on the internet, you guys seem to be the most trust-worthy in giving real advice, thank you very much for supporting my trolling habits!
Old January 30th, 2014, 04:41 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Diesel swap?

The ToroFlow is a Diesel version of the GMC V6, These engines came in 351 and 478 cubic inches and 637 V8 The 351 version a bit under powered was phased out after a few years. Some have converted their pickups to the D478 or later DH478 V6 ToroFlow. Parts are far more harder to find than the gas version. My suggestion is look for a lower mileage or recently rebuilt gas V6 of 351 to 401 ci, they all look basically the same as your 305 and bolt right into place.
Old January 30th, 2014, 06:24 AM

Okay, i was really interested in a diesel engine, i thought it would be a fun and semi unique project if i had to tear into the drivelines anyways, but if there is a good bolt on solution i'll look into those as well.
Am i right in seeing they made those two sizes in both diesel and gas?
i'm also curious if there is a bolt-on tranny that has OD
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:42 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I dont pretend to know anything about them, but from what Ive read the toroflows were used in big trucks alot and even in some boats. You might keep your search options really wide if you're looking to find one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:07 PM

Okay, well, i think i'm going to hope i can keep the original engine (really hoping it's a 305 V6) and start with the larger tires (instead of messing with gear ratio's). Once i have that all figured out it'll be time for me to work on collecting parts that i need. The diesel is going to be a "your engine is shot" kind of a situation.
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:42 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

The gas version of the GMC V6 all together in it's production run from 1960 to 1974 came in six different displacements, the ToroFlow V6 only came in two displacements.
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:10 AM

oh okay, thank you! back to the drawing board for me!