6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old January 23rd, 2015, 05:42 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Fit of reproduction parts

I thought I would share my observations on the replacement parts we are offered. This will examine 2 parts which I have had issue with. The first is the replacement fuel float/pick up assembly. Seems to be well built, but what I have seem from all offerings is that the fuel inlet fitting size does not match the 3/8 fuel line that may be present in our trucks. I went through the process of going to shops that specialized in making hose lines , who had an extensive supply of fittings to make anything work, except this difference in size. What you need to make it work is a 3/8 female and a 5/16 male in inverted flare style, well that is not available. I, repaired my original pick up unit, so I installed that back in the truck and I will keep the offending part as a spare. I figure I can unsolder the fitting on the end and take the correct female and machine it so I can solder it on to the 5/16 tubing.
The next item is the window seals that are supplied that fit on the lower portion of the window frame, upper edge of the door where you arm would rest when the window would be down. I installed new window channel on both doors, when I did install it I used the window to hold the channel in place as the silicon dried, so I know they went all the way to the top before I installed this item. After I installed this seal on the door edge, my window would not go all the way to the top to seal anymore, there was a gap of about 3/8" where the window stopped going up. I have taken pictures of the original item compared to the replacement and one can see the location of the pins is different. The replacement has the pins in the middle of the channel as the originals has the pins located at the bottom of the channel. Logic says the lower the pin the higher the channel will be when installed. I went back to the supplier and complained, well they checked their stock and drawings and everything is OK as far as they are concerned. Maybe, as it seems that most of these suppliers are using the same vendors in Taiwan. Well, after examining the passenger side, which has not been changed yet, I noticed that the bottom edge of the window metal channel went through this seal area. So I forced the window up higher on the drivers side and sure enough it went through the seal and seated in the top guide properly. I can get it to work, but I have to use my arm wedged against my knee to close the window to the top, still not A-OK as far as I am concerned.
This is a general observation, and I am still very happy to get anything that will work, but I just wish that more care was done in designing replacements, after all, the originals are out there on our vehicles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trim.JPG (418.1 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:25 PM

Truck: 1964 Fenderside 1000
Andice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fit of reproduction parts

I have difficulties with quite a few of the replacement parts that I used during the restoration of my truck: one front fender, door fuzzies, rubber hood bumper kit, door checks, lock set, door weatherstrip. Then some other replacement parts were great, especially the stuff from Mar-K and some of the parts from Classic Parts. Buying aftermarket parts is a real "Buyer Beware" area.