6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old August 11th, 2013, 04:47 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Then slide the cover that we slipped on earlier back down over the plug. It has a little bump on the inside so it will only go on one way.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

My wire looked ratty up where it hooked to the compressor itself so I put a romex connector on that too.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Here's this pic again. I put the plug-in box on the wall about 4 ft off the ground so it would be easy to pull the plug.

The next thing I did isnt shown. I measured and cut off my electrical PVC, then drilled a 7/8 inch hole with a wood spade bit in my ceiling. Then I crawled up there and poked the end of my 10/2 romex wire down through the hole. I had the Powder Puff grab the end and pull it to the ground. Better to have too much wire than not enough, right?

Then I threaded the wire through the PVC pipe.

Then I threaded it through the 90 degree waterproof connector. Lid first.

Now I put the PVC up through the ceiling. Here's a pic of the ceiling, but it looks like the floor. Camera was upside down I think?

Now for the plug. Heres a little tip. Don't strip your wires sheathing with a razor by pulling it all the way up or down the wire. You might nick the other wires inside!

Instead just use your dykes and snip the sheathing about 1/2 inch deep from the end like this.

Then just peel it back with your fingers or with a pair of pliers. It peels back easy once you get a slit cut in the front.

Now put connect your receptacle. Black is "x" or gold screw, white is "y" or silver screw, green is the bare or green wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:37 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Now mash it all back into the box. If you have your square box with the single circular hole cover you can put it on now for a clean look. Mine still isn't here. That looks safe enough for the girls I go out with though.

The next part involves many hours in a hot attic. Make sure you have someone to watch you in case you start shooting sparks from your ears.

In the attic I crawled through the yuk and tacked down my romex with these little plastic clips with nails on them.

Here's the run. The door shown was my lie-down un-comfy spot.

Next I found where my oven went down the wall. My oven is one of only a couple of 30 amp breakers in my box so I thought it was a good candidate for a tie-in. I turned my compressor wire 90 degrees when I got even with the oven's location so I could keep the run as straight as possible.

Here's the compressor wire (orange) next to the oven's wire (black). Now I put my hotstick against the wire and sure enough it is hot. I had the Powder Puff run inside and flip the oven breaker on and off in 5 second intervals. The blinking of my tester was every 5 seconds so I knew it was the right wire AND the right breaker.

Never trust your breaker box's hand written labels. Always test!

After testing, retesting, and testing my tester, I made my cut. Powder puff was on standby with 911 ready. I don't know what I'm doing, did I mention that?

I chewed off the sheathing with the dykes.

Then I cut the wires. I didn't fry so thank goodness for that. I splayed them out and took another 1/4 inch of insulation off the ends.

I ran them into the box and tightened the clamps on the side. My oven wire was TIGHT. I barely got them into the box. I may never get it tied to the stud behind it.

I ran the Romex in through the top.

I then got to wiring. My oven is 4 wire and my compressor is 3 wire so I had to study up on that. My thinking was to just wire the oven back up with wirenuts and put the other wires under the same nuts. The oven wire was so tight that I had to make 6 inch wire bits and tie them to each side. If we call the incoming wire from the breaker the "incoming", the outgoing wire to the oven the "outgoing", and the compressor the "romex", this is how I wired it up.

Incoming white ----> Outgoing white
Incoming ground ----> outgoing ground AND romex ground
Incoming Red ----> Outgoing red AND romex white
Incoming black ----> Outgoing black AND romex black

I did have to trim some of the bottom skirt off of the wire nuts to get them to spin but in the end this is what I finished with. It looks awful.

When I finished and unwound my poor back muscles, I laid the hotstick in the box o' nuts and had the Powder Puff go QUICKLY flick the breaker on and off. Snip snip! It worked and didn't send me into a fit of fireworks. So I had her try again for a 5 count. Still no sparks or weirdness. So I had her turn it on and leave it. Then I crawled down and tried the oven. It worked! Good start for a newbie, eh?

Finally I put a label on the box so I would know which breaker it uses (or for the next owner) then I plugged it in. I flicked on the compressor.....it roared to life! SUCCESSSSSSS!

I didn't have any more time to play with it tonight but tomorrow I'll pressurize it and test it for leaks and the cutoff. It was past the Powder Puff's bedtime. Poor little girl worked her butt off today with her Daddy. She deserved a story and some snooze time.

WARNING: this is just what I did. You shouldn't do anything with electricity. It can kill you. It probably will. Just call an electrician and don't be a tightwad like me.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 11th, 2013, 06:02 AM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Awesome gift you have there. Now you will be able to use any air-powered tool at your disposla into all hours of the night!

You will really appreciate the compressor when it comes time for painting--believe me. Congratulations, Fetch!

And with 220 that handy, you will now be looking for a 220V mig welder, then a plasma cutter, then...
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:27 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Awesome gift you have there. Now you will be able to use any air-powered tool at your disposla into all hours of the night!

You will really appreciate the compressor when it comes time for painting--believe me. Congratulations, Fetch!

And with 220 that handy, you will now be looking for a 220V mig welder, then a plasma cutter, then...
I'm already looking for a 220 mig welder after that frozen nut ordeal. Feeding the monster!

For painting I did say earlier that I was going to try it with my 20 gallon single stage to try to make it more budget friendly but now unless someone asks me to paint with it for a detailed post I'm totally going with Big Red here. WHOOSH!!!!

Old August 11th, 2013, 09:40 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Fetch,

Not to be picky, but on both of the junction boxes, you have too many connection for the size of box you're using for the one in the attic, are there any electricians on the BB? I know it will be a pain, but you might consider upsizing the box to the next size larger or so. The draw on the wires may cause a heat issue.

The junction box with the orange wire as well is too crowded as well. I've learned a few thing from my electrical studies.
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:49 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

I've done that splice stuff in the attic job before and it's about as much fun as a doe it urself root canal. I'd agree with jbgroby on the size of those junction boxes. It also would be safer if that compressor had it's own dedicated 30 amp circuit but I'm figuring you already checked that out. Just be careful not to run the compressor while the little woman is baking something. I don't know if it would trip the breaker, but it could really heat up those wires sucking that many watts through those wires. And it goes without saying Mr. FMP that having a nice 80 gal unit is a dream come true. Congratulations.
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Fetch,

Not to be picky, but on both of the junction boxes, you have too many connection for the size of box you're using for the one in the attic, are there any electricians on the BB? I know it will be a pain, but you might consider upsizing the box to the next size larger or so. The draw on the wires may cause a heat issue.

The junction box with the orange wire as well is too crowded as well. I've learned a few thing from my electrical studies.
Its already a 4" box and the space is kinda cramped. Would it be OK to do my pigtails on a separate box? Like this:

Quote:
I've done that splice stuff in the attic job before and it's about as much fun as a doe it urself root canal. I'd agree with jbgroby on the size of those junction boxes. It also would be safer if that compressor had it's own dedicated 30 amp circuit but I'm figuring you already checked that out. Just be careful not to run the compressor while the little woman is baking something. I don't know if it would trip the breaker, but it could really heat up those wires sucking that many watts through those wires. And it goes without saying Mr. FMP that having a nice 80 gal unit is a dream come true. Congratulations.
Yeah that's going to be a discussion because sometimes while we're outside working the redhead (emblem painter) will surprise us with brownies. I'll have to be careful to let them know when I'm using a tool that is heavy on the air.

Old August 16th, 2013, 04:15 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

My covers finally came in so I put the round-hole cover on my compressor plugin and my box in the attic. Then I ran the oven AND the compressor at the same time. The breaker didn't trip and the box registered 91 degrees after 20 minutes. I still might run another box up there for safety's sake but it seems ok so that'll be a job for another day.

The compressor plug looks professional though. I'm pretty proud of it

I spent time throwing things away, cleaning out the garage, and watching the kids draw cityscapes on my driveway with chalk. Good times.

After the final sweepup I banged my leg on those fender support rods I mentioned earlier. That was the last straw. I had an hour to kill so I got my 9/16 wrench and my 9/16 socket then spun the rods off right quick. No sweat.
I forgot to take pics though because one of my kids was playing with my phone. Here's a pic of the hole to remember where they go.

Then I wire-wheeled the dirt and rust off. After that it was off to the paint board. Well, not really. I heard about this really neat stuff called

that turns rust into a hard black INERT (non reactive) coating. It's great for hard to reach stuff that won't wire-wheel well like my next project.

I sprayed them down with this stuff liberally after wire-wheeling. They'll get another brush-off tomorrow then they'll get coated in bed-liner because they're in a very harsh environment right there by the wheel.

After that I grabbed my tire mount and started wire-wheeling it. THis is where having the Ospho stuff really came in handy.

I wired as best I could but there are some very tight corners in here. I couldn't get them as well as I would have liked. So I did the best I could and sprayed this Ospho stuff all over it. It turned out shiny and puurrrrty. The pic on the other hand was blurry as all get-out.

That's all the time I had today. Next thing will be power-washing all the dirt and rust off the frame and rear end. I took a screwdriver and poked at some of that rear axle dirt today. It is every bit of a quarter inch thick and hard as concrete. I'm not going to try sandblasting through that mess.

Old August 16th, 2013, 05:57 AM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

Hi Fetch I ran across this thread on the 60's forum thought it might be of interest to you and others over here. It's an air tool that may be better than sand blasting check out the link..Vernski

Old August 16th, 2013, 03:03 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Hi Fetch I ran across this thread on the 60's forum thought it might be of interest to you and others over here. It's an air tool that may be better than sand blasting check out the link..Vernski

That's pretty neat! I saw it yesterday and ran over to harbor freight and put one in my cart. Ha ha! Great minds think alike!

I hate videos but I watched that one. This thing is very loud. Im thinkin earplugs would be a good idea with it.