6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old October 30th, 2019, 07:51 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best insurance companies for old trucks and new?

I'm with State Farm right now and we had some hail roll through. Never had a claim before so I went and got my estimates for all three vehicles, send them in, and they said "no, that's not good enough". Cecilia wasn't included in this because she's made of 1960's metal instead of beer cans.

Now they want me to only go to a specific repair shop and get a "special bid" with a state farm guy. Either that or I can go to an adjuster and they'l peek at it, cut me a reduced check, and flip me the bird as they drive off.

Are any insurance companies legit anymore? Who do you guys use and how is the claims process?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 31st, 2019, 02:25 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best insurance companies for old trucks and new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I'm with State Farm right now and we had some hail roll through. Never had a claim before so I went and got my estimates for all three vehicles, send them in, and they said "no, that's not good enough". Cecilia wasn't included in this because she's made of 1960's metal instead of beer cans.

Now they want me to only go to a specific repair shop and get a "special bid" with a state farm guy. Either that or I can go to an adjuster and they'l peek at it, cut me a reduced check, and flip me the bird as they drive off.

Are any insurance companies legit anymore? Who do you guys use and how is the claims process?
I've been with State Farm for our daily drivers for over 50 years, and have never had any problems like what you're describing. I've had a few claims over the years -- always from other people hitting us. State Farm has always let me take our vehicle to any body shop I wanted with no hassles at all. They don't even ask for three estimates.

For my GMCs I've got "agreed value" policies with American Modern Insurance. Hagerty and Grundy are probably the two best known for insuring classic vehicles. I was with Grundy for many years with no problems until they decided not to insure unrestored vehicles any longer. American Modern let me pick my own values.

Check out https://www.amig.com/insurance/collector-car/
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old December 26th, 2019, 04:31 PM

Truck: 1963 GMC 1000 sm420 305E lwb wideside
jmfurgason is on a distinguished road

New member in New Mexico ,insured my 63 GMC 1000 with Haggerty, State Farm was a mess. Great rate and better coverage. Happy Holiday to all!!
Old December 26th, 2019, 05:29 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough

Recommend you pick a high end shop and get the estimate there, stay away from getting your insurance adjusters estimate-- that has the makings for a good screwing, just as you too think.
Hail sucks, good luck,
Steve

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump