6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old February 29th, 2016, 04:56 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default '47 International KB-2

Well... I couldn't help myself... Seems as if I have to stay busy messing with stuff...

I bought this 3/4 ton truck over the weekend. It's mostly complete, except motor/trans, glass, floor board and front bumper.

The hood, cab, and bed don't have any dents, so I'm going to clear coat as is. All the fenders have dents, so I'll do my best to bang out, smooth out with bondo and shoot with flat black.

I retired my grandpa's '77 Chevy 1/2 ton farm truck about 7-8 years ago, which is why I bought the '62 GMC. However, several years before I retired the Chevy, I blew the head gasket and rebuilt the motor and attaching components (alt/rad/starter/etc). The rest of the truck was in horible shape, but it was all I could afford at the time.

I stil have the truck and plan to take the I6 from the Chevy and put it in the International. I have no idea how much of a task that will be (frame spacing/motor mounts/etc), but I will give it a shot. My plan is to keep this a low budget, yet fun project. I don't plan to chop it or any of that stuff. Other than the fenders, it's in too good of shape.

The people I bought the truck from, said the wheels are from a T-Bird, but they are 15" 48 spoke and I haven't been able to confirm that yet. Anyway, I plan to sell the rims and put on the simple steel wheels with chrome baby moons, as the orig International chrome hubs are too expensive (even used ones).

There is one item I cannot figure out on this truck... Behind the driver's side cab/door, on the side of the bed, is a ledge/shelf that flips up and down. In the photo, it is flipped up. It's in the same spot where some truck models installed the spare tire, but on this model, the spare tire is mounted under the bed (like our GMCs). This compenent is too high for a step and also too high for a jerry gas can. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '47 International KB-2.JPG (598.4 KB, Multiple views, 24 clicks)
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:36 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '47 International KB-2

Hi David, that ol' Binder looks like it's gonna be a very fun project! The first truck I bought was in 1973, a '55 International 100 (1/2 ton). It was great truck! Looks like yours has a steel bed floor like mine did.

I like your idea of using the '77 I-6 in it. You will have lots of room to work with and they are really very smooth running engines as you know. If you remember, my '55 GMC had a 230 transplanted into it sometime long before I got it. It's been a great engine even though it has a little lifter noise. I have a 250 that will go in it's place when the 230 dies, but I might croak first!

If you take a BUNCH more pictures maybe we can help solve the mystery of the shelf!

Those wheels do resemble ones I've seen on pics of '64 era T-Birds.

Thanks for the post!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old March 2nd, 2016, 04:14 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

Nice Find Clarke. They are starting to become popular. About six months ago I brought home a 1946 K-2, that I had been sniffing around for almost two years. It was in South Dakota, I was in California. Finally got everything worked out. It has KB bumpers and hood ornament. Completely stock and the horn works!

Foley,
Greenwood, CA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46 Intl-1 (1024x768).jpg (575.8 KB, Multiple views, 15 clicks)
File Type: jpg 46 Intl-6 (1024x768).jpg (526.2 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old March 3rd, 2016, 12:47 AM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road

Looks like fun.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Nice Find Clarke. They are starting to become popular. About six months ago I brought home a 1946 K-2, that I had been sniffing around for almost two years. It was in South Dakota, I was in California. Finally got everything worked out. It has KB bumpers and hood ornament. Completely stock and the horn works!

Foley,
Greenwood, CA
How cool is that, Foley! If those pics were taken while still out here, it looks like a Black Hills setting! Did you run across it when you were out this way in 2014?
Also another question, did the SD Historical plates transfer to California?

I have recently applied for 3 sets with the state DMV using "year of vehicle" plates in substitute of the state issued ones. The original 1955 ones were accepted for the '55 GMC, the '72 plates were rejected for the '72 GMC and the '70 plates for the '70 K5 Jimmy are still pending. I re-submitted right away on the '72 for the state issued plates.

We need more pics and info of your new Binder too! Looking forward to learning more about both these IH's! This goes along with your tractors nicely and it's even the right color.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 72 plates 002.jpg (1.18 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 55 72 plates.jpg (1.04 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 70 plates.jpg (1.13 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 55 plates 009.jpg (1.26 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 55 plates 010.jpg (1.17 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)

Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:56 AM

Foley, nice truck! My wife likes the photo with the road and trees.

DAC, why did they reject your '72 tag? Looks like they are in really good shape. I have a '62 KS tag on my GMC; it was no big deal here. Now, on my '63 camper, they wouldn't let me do that, because it doesn't have a motor. Only motorized vehicles can recycle tags. So my camper has an issued tag on it, but I plan to find a '63 KS tag to put on there anyway, then I'll pitch the issued one in the camper closet (in case I get pulled over).
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:40 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

To answer those questions DAC, yes, I ran across it in 2014 when I was in SD at the big IH show in Huron. The pix were taken on the driveway that winds up to our house here in Greenwood. As for those SD historical plates. The previous owner didn't want them. When I registered the truck here in CA, our DMV didn't want them, and I didn't want them. So they are history. I've done a lot of research on the K and KB series Clarke, and have a couple of good contacts who specialize in those models. Should you need info, pm me and I'll do what I can to help with your project.
Old March 4th, 2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Foley, nice truck! My wife likes the photo with the road and trees.

DAC, why did they reject your '72 tag? Looks like they are in really good shape. I have a '62 KS tag on my GMC; it was no big deal here. Now, on my '63 camper, they wouldn't let me do that, because it doesn't have a motor. Only motorized vehicles can recycle tags. So my camper has an issued tag on it, but I plan to find a '63 KS tag to put on there anyway, then I'll pitch the issued one in the camper closet (in case I get pulled over).
Yeah the '72 plates are pretty nice shape but were definitely used. The '55 and '7o's are unrestored unused originals. The DMV said that the number on the rejected ones is already in use. Got the '55's permanent registration in the mail today so it's a done deal for that old truck!

Quote:
To answer those questions DAC, yes, I ran across it in 2014 when I was in SD at the big IH show in Huron. The pix were taken on the driveway that winds up to our house here in Greenwood. As for those SD historical plates. The previous owner didn't want them. When I registered the truck here in CA, our DMV didn't want them, and I didn't want them. So they are history. I've done a lot of research on the K and KB series Clarke, and have a couple of good contacts who specialize in those models. Should you need info, pm me and I'll do what I can to help with your project.
The IH show was the "Red Power Tour" if I remember right? I would have sent you a few bucks for those plates---just for wall-hangers, not to try to re-use.
It looks like the area you live in is beautiful!

Waiting for more pics from both of you!

DAC

Old March 8th, 2016, 02:35 AM

Here's some additional photos of the shelf I was telling you about... Anybody know what it was intended for? It's attached with the exact same type of screws as other components on the truck.

As you notice in the picture with the boss lady, the shelf makes a good beer holder. She was steering the truck for me as I was moving it with the tractor.

This time she made me clean out the inside of the truck before she would get in. Last time she helped me move a truck there was a live five foot long black snake behind the seat. Let's just say she was not thrilled to see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg down.JPG (855.4 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg up.JPG (881.0 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: png boss.PNG (1.36 MB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)
Old March 8th, 2016, 03:00 AM

The photo next to my International Tractor is before I modified the suspension...

The photo from the side is after I modified the suspension...

Of course, after I move the engine from the back to the front, the back will rise some and the front will settle some. Should have a little rake to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pair.JPG (991.2 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg front.JPG (658.4 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg side.JPG (629.8 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)