6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old December 12th, 2016, 09:37 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Leak... Tips?

So, it looks like I've got a transmission leak. I think I've identified where it's coming from (I've attached a picture of the offending bolt).
My question is it doesn't look like something with a rubber washer. So, how do I stop the leak? Torque it and see if that works? Or is there something I'm not seeing?

Also, I can't see an easy way to top it up. But, the manual speaks of a 'filler plug'. Surely that can't be the bolt with the red dot in the following photo. How is one supposed to get anything in there? Lol

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old December 12th, 2016, 02:16 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Leak... Tips?

That leak could be the speedometer cable or the bolts on tail piece. You might get lucky and be able to snug them up to get it to stop. Someone will chime in with the ft-lbs to torque them to. I just did mine good and snug.

That fill plug isn't as hard as it looks. You can get this thing and it'll pump all the oil you need then you can use it on other stuff too. It won't work on gasoline though. Ask me how I know haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 13th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

As indicated by FMAP, you are seeing a leak from above somewhere and gravity is carrying it to the bottom of case. The most likely is the speedo connection as said. Follow the wet upwards to the offender. Any kingdof pump with a tube will do if it needs filling. Stick a pinky in hole and if wet, you are OK. Fill to level with hole or a hair below. Old trucks will have leaks. That seems like a small one. Keeps the roads oiled.
Old December 13th, 2016, 09:17 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

There's no wet above the bolt that I took a picture of. Also, I gave it a wipe and left it for a day and sure enough, the area around the bolt looks like the culprit. But, what I'm not sure of is how to fix something that looks like a metal on metal connection? Is there some kind of sealant that should be around the bolt?
Also, what is the name of the bolt? I've looked in the manual and there are a few different ones on the transmission (other than the obvious drain plug and filler bolt).
I guess what I'm getting at is what's the proper name for the thing that I think is leaking?

Old December 13th, 2016, 09:19 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
There's no wet above the bolt that I took a picture of. Also, I gave it a wipe and left it for a day and sure enough, the area around the bolt looks like the culprit. But, what I'm not sure of is how to fix something that looks like a metal on metal connection? Is there some kind of sealant that should be around the bolt?
Also, what is the name of the bolt? I've looked in the manual and there are a few different ones on the transmission (other than the obvious drain plug and filler bolt).
I guess what I'm getting at is what's the proper name for the thing that I think is leaking?

Speedo cable looking dry

That bolt is still a leakin'

Old December 13th, 2016, 02:55 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

There's a little paper filter about the width of the back of a blister pack that goes in there to keep it from leaking. I'm pretty sure if you give it a quarter twist (and all the other ones that may be loose) it'll seal back up.

If you want to do a full repair look in my thread about rebuilding the transmission. I go through everything step by step. You can skip to the tailshaft portion but it will involve the bearings, which can be fun to get back in there. And you'll want a ring spreader thing like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOCKING-RING...gAAMXQQQZRzoYL

I used two screwdrivers (flathead) the first time I did it and it was TOUGH. With the spreader you're done immediately.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 13th, 2016, 03:04 PM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road

Tear out your concrete driveway and leave it gravel. Makes all your old trucks seem like they are not leaking as much.
What weight gear oil are you running?
Old December 13th, 2016, 03:58 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Easiest way I found to top that trans off was to take the stick out and fill it from the top. Pull the filler plug out and have someone watch so you don't over fill. Worked well for me. Like FMAP said, give them all a good snug and see if that helps. I'm not sure what Cover that is under the manual without reading deeply, but it looks like spec is 20-25 foot pounds. Someone chime in if I am wrong.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:10 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
There's a little paper filter about the width of the back of a blister pack that goes in there to keep it from leaking. I'm pretty sure if you give it a quarter twist (and all the other ones that may be loose) it'll seal back up.
There's no quarter twist to be had. If anything, I think the dude that worked on it last time must've taken the "tighten the crap out of everything approach."

Could that be what's caused the problem? If something is over-tight, I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to crush the filter that you're talking about?

Will the transmission have to come out in order to fix this? Or is it worth loosening to spec and adding some lucas oil in the hopes that the gasket/filter comes good?
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:19 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post
Tear out your concrete driveway and leave it gravel. Makes all your old trucks seem like they are not leaking as much.
Love it LOL

Not sure the owners of the place would like that. Particularly since it would mean replacing the garage floor with gravel also. At the moment I've taken to making sure there's a sheet of plastic under it when I park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post
What weight gear oil are you running?
That's a good question. Unfortunately, I haven't the faintest idea. I sent the truck to a garage when I first got it.

Let's just say I've since decided that approach has some downsides. LOL

On a serious note though, the manual says that I should be using 'multi purpose gear oil' from memory I think. But I've not been able to find anything about the grade and whatnot that I should be running. Thoughts?