6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old January 8th, 2014, 10:12 AM

Truck: '63 2500
fyrboy is on a distinguished road
Default '63 ambulance

Thought to have been built by The Christopher Company. When I asked renowned emergency vehicle expert Walt McCall about Christopher, he said, "I don't have much information on the Christopher Company, which built some light-duty rescue vehicles in the 1950s. They were located on Beaver Street in New York City. Their principal product was a "Four In One" Disaster Unit conversion of a Chevrolet or GMC panel truck with a raised rear roof. They had dropped out of the business by the early 1960s." I have a late '50's ad that shows a 100 Central Park South address. The rear step & side door seem to be Christopher "giveaways." Ambulance was originally owned by Norfolk, NB, boyhood home of the late Johnny Carson. Second owner was Concord, NB, where it was an equipment truck. Engine & brake work have been done, & it's now primed, but I'm broke. Don't know if/when I'll be able to resume. At least I have a title, & it's stored indoors, but 3 hours from me. Disappointed to find only "305E" stamped on the block with no adjacent number, which I understand means it's a replacement motor. 17,000 miles. 4-speed. VIN 2503PG5052B. Have appropriate '63 grill letters, & the '66 grill letters shown are for sale on this board. Picture of similar unit, a confirmed Christopher, shows top-hinged side door, whereas mine is right-side hinged. Any information welcome. Credit to all photographers involved.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Last edited by fyrboy; January 8th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:19 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '63 ambulance

Great looking ambulance, Fyrboy! I sure hope you can get more progress on it soon. It being so far away has to be stressful to say the least.

I dig that '55 or '56 too!

Thanks---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday