6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old September 15th, 2013, 02:40 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 62 GMC build

That's what I heard from another member thats an old timer. After posting that I did a little lookin. I see

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

it says 3/4 inch plugs, then Pete says they're too long

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I say take a peek at them and see if they're hitting and put the rumors to rest for good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Rock auto lists both lengths for our engines and the ones I pulled out of the parts motor are long, not smashed, and showed evidence of a fairly long life. On the other hand the shortys out of my truck where showing no signs of discoloration or anything else so they appeared to be working fine also. Hmmm....

I imagine the gap would be smashed shut in pretty short order and it wouldn't run very good if anything was making contact?
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Someone on the other site suggested I look at the spark plug section on Jolly's site. I was already looking on his site but didn't know they had a spark plug section . This topic wasn't addressed but while looking at his engine page #2 I did find this:

"LONG-REACH SPARK PLUGS New, long-reach spark plugs have greater surface area
in contact with cooling passages. These cooler running plugs stay cleaner so they last longer."

This led me to believe they always had long plugs. Then I found this in the same article:

"SIMPLIFIED CARBURETION Highly efficient two-barrel carburetor rations regular-grade
gasoline to the engine. Simple design means easy servicing -- & it's seldom required."

Wasn't the 2 barrel introduced in 62'?
Maybe they changed the plug specs at the same time?

That same article also has a pic of a Magnum style engine so who knows?

Last edited by tommyduncan; September 16th, 2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:47 PM

I didn't realize it had been so long since I updated this. I started having photo bucket problems and that led to procrastination problems

...all fixed now!

I think I posted elsewhere that I had a small under dash fire. It turns out it was the ammeter. I removed it and the under dash oil pressure gauge that accompanied it and pulled the engine harness. I decided to swap to an alternator while I was having fun. Turns out one of the spare motors had all the brackets and another project had a CS10 alternator...
Total cost= a few bucks to replenish wiring supplies and spray paint

From this:

...and this:

To this:

Old February 1st, 2014, 06:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Total cost= a few bucks to replenish wiring supplies and spray paint

Few bucks?!?! Now you speaka' my language! (how bout a vegemite sammich?

)

Great price and it lets you add more taxing things to your system if you care to later on (ac, etc).

Man I wish Cecilia's paint looked so good

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:21 PM

While laying on the floorboards working on wiring under the dash I placed my hand in the center of the seat to get up and...RIP! I guess the heat had an effect after all? Oh well. Not sure I'm crazy about the blue anyways?

Since I already ordered a carb adapter I decided to carb spray the 500 and slap it on since it didn't look too dirty and came off of a 305 V6. Big improvement without even adjusting it

best $50 I ever spent!
I later messed with the linkage and got close to full throttle. I still haven't rebuilt it or installed a choke...
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:28 PM

I've been looking for 07+Econoline wheels so I can run the stock caps and 16" tires. I've followed some leads but nothing panned out.
I saw wheels on my friends Dodge work truck that I like as long as the ugly center cap is removed. I thought I would maybe eventually get some of these and modern 17" tires after I found some of the Econoline steelies so I could have 2 different looks for the truck.
While searching eBay and Craigslist I kept finding them for $400-600 a set. No bueno!
While traipsing through an automotive shop to do my job I found a filthy set out in the dirt with spray paint on them...$100 later and they were mine!

I trial fitted them and realized I would probably need a 1" spacer in the rear.

I also wanted to run a tall rear tire since it is geared so low. I found a set of 265/65/17 for $50 that would get me going.

With a 1" spacer in the rear the 265 easily fit. I will eventually run 275/50/17 in the rear and I still haven't decided on the front. The front rubs slightly at full lock with no spacer. I haven't seen where yet.

My next project is to bead blast the wheels so they will have more of a retro look. I will probably leave the outer 5/8" shiny and possibly the center also. They(with a little help of some muriatic acid) would have the dark grey cast look.
I am also considering a powder coat that the coater tells me will look just like aged magnesium...

I also have 2 horn buttons that I want to use the centers out of to make my own center caps.If it comes out good I will need 2 more. I have some old jeep slot mag caps that screw to the rim but they aren't wide enough to clear the rear hubs.

Last edited by tommyduncan; February 1st, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Few bucks?!?! Now you speaka' my language!

Great price and it lets you add more taxing things to your system if you care to later on (ac, etc).
yeah, I'm trying not to get too financially deep into this one. It keeps it fun. Ironically the things that are cool about this truck are also it's limitations. Hard to find parts for engine, quirky trans that not many people know how to work on, early model suspension with no aftermarket support(unless you convert to 6 lug), power steering and brakes that would be a shame to delete for something modern, etc...
I know it sounds like I'm complaining... I'm being realistic. The power drums work great and so does the power steering(even though it is 108⅜ turns lock to lock), the paint is nice enough to get looks but not worry about, and it makes decent power and shifts good enough
Quote:
Man I wish Cecilia's paint looked so good

It looks good from a few feet but there are a lotta chips(some silver dollar size) and what little body work there is was done pretty badly, as well as the cheap paint job with no primer under it. If I hit this with a pressure washer it would be missing much of it's paint and the 2-tone under it is a really ugly combination, not to mention some of the new colors over it.

I don't think I have $2000 into this truck and I enjoy the heck out of it. I have about that much in all the missing trim and back seat for my 63 Nova SS convertible project.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:54 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

You know I've seen many a different paint jobs on the 60-66 series, but never saw that one before, its different.

On the "getting to $$ deep part", don't think of it like getting too deep. I look at it like a hobby, I don't spend money on other thing (bars/drinking, dating, vacations etc.) if you are not in a rush, you won't miss the money. My paint job is costing me $3500 it has taken 2 years, I've fix and or replaced all the stuff in between, Just my two cents worth.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
You know I've seen many a different paint jobs on the 60-66 series, but never saw that one before, its different.
"Different" is a nice way to put it

I would like it better if it didn't have side trim. I have thought about 2 toning it above the trim but having the white wrap around the hood "nostrils" similar to how it does now. What to do with the paint line where the front of the trim ends and meets the grill opening is the hard part. Originally I wanted to do that because the stripes are bubbling but since the rest of the paint isn't great either I probably won't do anything. Ford has a newer black with lots of flake in it that would look good if I did do it, or maybe gold?

Quote:
On the "getting to $$ deep part", don't think of it like getting too deep. I look at it like a hobby, I don't spend money on other thing (bars/drinking, dating, vacations etc.) if you are not in a rush, you won't miss the money. My paint job is costing me $3500 it has taken 2 years, I've fix and or replaced all the stuff in between, Just my two cents worth.
I completely agree with all of this! I only occasionally drink, don't do drugs, don't gamble(huge problem in these parts),have a paid for house and a decent job= disposable income.

My problem is I have an addiction... a hobby addiction! I have this truck, a 63 Chevy truck, a 63 Nova convertible, a Jeep Wrangler, a Jeep Cherokee project (that belongs to my daughter but the work/expense is all me), two dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and I camp/hike pretty regularly. Time, space, and priority is mostly my problem! Whenever I think about getting carried away on the truck I remind myself that the money would get the Nova one step closer. It is also a better investment...
In time I might get deeper into the truck. It is still used as a tool at the moment.