6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old November 28th, 2016, 05:33 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default New guy

Hello! Just got a '63 GMC 1000 about a month ago. It has the 305 V6. I just LOVE the arguments I get when folks ask, "So, what you got in it?" My first response is usually, "You would not believe me if I told you." They usually reply, "So what DO you have in it?" "A 305 V6." "V6? You sure it's not a V8?" "Nope, it's a V6." "They never made such a thing!" At this point, I open the hood and POINT at it. "THAT ain't no V6, that's a BIG BLOCK!" "Count the plug wires." Usually I can see the mouth move, "One, two, three, four, five, six" and then they shake their head and walk away. Those that don't walk away get an education. I LOVE it!

Got this truck from a buddy of mine. He kept telling me he was going to drop a 350 in it and turn it into a 4 wheel drive. I begged him not to. About a year ago, I came home with an '83 El Camino. My buddy started lusting for the "truck" as soon as I got it home. Kept asking how much I wanted for it. I told him $3500. I was using it as my daily driver and did not really want to sell it, but if someone wanted it more than I did, I was willing to part with it. Finally, a bit over a month ago I get a phone call. "You willing to trade the El Camino for my old GMC?" "Can I drive it back and forth to work?" "Yep, it runs. Needs some work, but you should be able to fix it." I did not even ask to test drive the truck. I drove over to his house with the title for the El Camino and all the keys I had for the car. Drove the truck home that night. I had a vacation planned for the week following, so I did not start working on the truck until about two weeks after I got it, but I have been working the kinks out ever since. First thing to go was the 24 X 10 Ghetto rims my buddy had put on it. They were too tall for the truck. I asked if he still had the original rims and tires. He did. I got them and put them back on. The truck performs MUCH better. It no longer feels like I am taking off in second when I am in first.

In order to steer the thing with the 10 inch wide wheels up front, my buddy converted the truck to power steering (not a bad thing to do, so I will likely keep it). However, he cobbed up some brackets to make the pump fit the engine. I will likely be looking for the power steering pump, brackets and pulleys from a later model (maybe a '72) GMC with power steering. Not sure if such a beast exists, but if it does, I suspect this is the place to find out. I am also looking for another hood for the truck. From what I have seen, a 61-64 hood will work. Maybe something from an old school bus or something. If anyone knows of one, I would be grateful to hear of it. It would be just WONDERFUL if it was located somewhere in Deep South Texas! I could make a road trip for Central and Southeast Texas, but would have to have it delivered by truck if outside of these areas.

I look forward to hearing from you all, and any help/advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Old November 29th, 2016, 02:34 AM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy

Welcome aboard. Nice truck. What transmission?
Old November 29th, 2016, 04:35 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Welcome Hubarlow! great story and great truck as well. More photos when possible, Thanks.
Old November 29th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC Suburban 4x4
kchampagne is on a distinguished road

Looks like you have a solid truck! Welcome!!
Old November 29th, 2016, 01:14 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Welcome Hubarlow,

You've come to the right place for ALL your questions. Loving' the chrome Barbell. I've pasted my Photobucket album on the conversion to P/S incase you need some pointers.

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/jb...?sort=3&page=1

Also, If you are looking for ANY parts contact a member called R.J. Sisneros in Crowley Colorado. I've just about gotten a whole truck from him one piece at a time
Here is my ride.

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/jb...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by jbgroby; November 29th, 2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post
Welcome aboard. Nice truck. What transmission?
I honestly do not know. Looks like a Saginaw car 4 speed. I DO know that it is not original to the truck. My buddy changed it and used the car four speed because he did not have to change the drive shaft from the original 3 speed.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:29 AM

JB: Sweet ride! Looks like you did the same thing my buddy did, except he cobbled the brackets and used donor parts from a 72 Chevy pickup. Where did you get the brackets? Tried looking up Mr R.J. Sisneros. Unable to locate him for some reason.

Last edited by hubarlow; November 30th, 2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:41 AM

Funkey and Champagne: Thanks for the welcome! Nice rides!
Old November 30th, 2016, 10:01 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Glad you got rid of the rims lol

Good luck! I reckon you got the better end of that trade!
Old November 30th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubarlow View Post
JB: Sweet ride! Looks like you did the same thing my buddy did, except he cobbled the brackets and used donor parts from a 72 Chevy pickup. Where did you get the brackets? Tried looking up Mr R.J. Sisneros. Unable to locate him for some reason.
pm me and I'll give you his phone number. The bracket was either an ebay find or a member had it up for sale, I cant remember.