6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old December 17th, 2016, 04:32 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Link to my video showing shifting without a clutch

I was basically told by someone that it is not possible to shift a manual transmission without using a clutch. I had told this person about the time I went to buy a '57 Chevy Panel Truck, and the clutch blew out 5 minutes after I paid for the truck. I drove it all the way from Denver to Longmont, CO without using the clutch. I was told it could not be done. I just used the '63 to prove it COULD. Here is the youtube link: https://youtu.be/sZ59lEP_r_8
Old December 17th, 2016, 05:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Link to my video showing shifting without a clutch

Thank you Hugh Man and Boy Ray!
I learned something today just before bed.
Old December 17th, 2016, 01:02 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

Most large trucks are driven with out using the clutch. I have been doing it for years. Using the clutch for starting out and stopping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.

Last edited by 6066gmcguy; December 17th, 2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:07 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I used to drive an '87 Chevy S10 that I shifted without the clutch all the time. Like Hubarlow said it's easy as matching motor to truck speed. One thing I didn't know is that you could start one from a dead stop without the clutch. How do you pull that off?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:29 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubarlow View Post
I was basically told by someone that it is not possible to shift a manual transmission without using a clutch. I had told this person about the time I went to buy a '57 Chevy Panel Truck, and the clutch blew out 5 minutes after I paid for the truck. I drove it all the way from Denver to Longmont, CO without using the clutch. I was told it could not be done. I just used the '63 to prove it COULD. Here is the youtube link: https://youtu.be/sZ59lEP_r_8
Depends on the transmission. The stock 3-speed could be upshifted without a clutch, and down from 3 to 2... but downshifting into first isn't advisable without the clutch... no synchros so it -will- grind unless it is really worn. Although I found that even using the clutch into first wasn't always a doable proposition. Usually easier on the transmission to come to a halt first with that one. Which is why I retired so many of my 3-speeds as early as possible.

Thinking about that... I sold the '66 that had a 3-speed, the linkage was still good, nice and tight. Sadly the 3-speeds died in that truck and the kid had to cut the floor out for a 4-speed (toploader). Stupid pan over the transmission wasn't removable in that one. A one-piece stamped floor. All he had to do though was cut on the lines and then one of the tall floor plates sat in there like it was meant to be.
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old December 18th, 2016, 12:19 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Man you got that Down! haha I've shifted without the clutch here and there, but not enough to be smooth about it. The synchros on 4th are toast in my sm420 so I have to double clutch for a quiet shift. But clutchless if I get the rpm's perfect it'll pop right in. Thanks for posting!

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old December 18th, 2016, 03:58 AM

Truck: Drove and Owned Many
BillT is on a distinguished road

When I was driving for a Lumber Yard, the Clutch Rod dropped out of the '64 International 1600 one day. I crawled under it and determined that there was no way to fix it right then and there and called the office to let them know. I told them that they were going to need to tow it in, although I mentioned that I could just drive it back without the Clutch. They really liked that idea and gave me the go-ahead. I finished unloading it and on the way I went, starting off in granny gear cranking it over. I did my best to time the lights, traffic, etc so as not to stop any more than I had to and it all worked out fine.

Now getting back to Shifting w/o the Clutch (other than emergencies), I agree with what someone mentioned on another truck board one day. If the Trans has Synchros, you should "not" Shift w/o the Clutch, but if is a Non-Synchro Trans, it is OK to.

Now, me personally, I always use the Clutch. With a Road Ranger Trans, I Double Clutch every gear up and down. Although many out there don't, I have found that I can shift faster and smoother with the Clutch, especially when downshifting.

-'60 GMC 2500 Dump, 305 V-6
-'62 GMC 4000 Flatbed, 305 V-6
-'62 GMC 6500 Flatbed Dump, 478 V-6
-'67 GMC 7500 Box, 6V-53 Detroit
-'71 GMC 9500 Flatbed Dump, 637 V-8

Last edited by BillT; December 18th, 2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I used to drive an '87 Chevy S10 that I shifted without the clutch all the time. Like Hubarlow said it's easy as matching motor to truck speed. One thing I didn't know is that you could start one from a dead stop without the clutch. How do you pull that off?
On the old Granny Low 4 speeds it is a cinch. It is a bit harder with a normal first gear, but it is possible as long as the engine has a good tune, and the starter and battery are both strong. It also helps to be either on a flat, or going downhill. Uphill would be nearly impossible. On the '57 that I had to drive from Denver to Longmont, I was fortunate that it had a granny low transmission. The truck had NOT been tuned, but the starter and battery were both strong. I would crank and crank until the engine finally caught. By then, the light was RED, but I was in the middle of the intersection. I got caught a few times until I figured out how to time the lights. Then I drove very slowly until the light turned green (and then I shifted HARD).
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
Depends on the transmission. The stock 3-speed could be upshifted without a clutch, and down from 3 to 2... but downshifting into first isn't advisable without the clutch... no synchros so it -will- grind unless it is really worn. Although I found that even using the clutch into first wasn't always a doable proposition. Usually easier on the transmission to come to a halt first with that one. Which is why I retired so many of my 3-speeds as early as possible.

Thinking about that... I sold the '66 that had a 3-speed, the linkage was still good, nice and tight. Sadly the 3-speeds died in that truck and the kid had to cut the floor out for a 4-speed (toploader). Stupid pan over the transmission wasn't removable in that one. A one-piece stamped floor. All he had to do though was cut on the lines and then one of the tall floor plates sat in there like it was meant to be.

I have done MANY of those conversions over the years on C10 Chevys and the floor pan was designed to do exactly that. Those old pans were interchangeable in those trucks between the 3 speed/th350/powerglide and the 4 speed/th400/four wheel drive pans. The only difference was in the center "hump". The bigger transmissions would have the pan CUT by the factory and nuts would be welded to the floor pan to install the center cover. That is how the bigger transmissions were serviced at the dealer--through the floor. The toploader transmissions and big automatics would remove the pan to remove and install the transmissions.
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Man you got that Down! haha I've shifted without the clutch here and there, but not enough to be smooth about it. The synchros on 4th are toast in my sm420 so I have to double clutch for a quiet shift. But clutchless if I get the rpm's perfect it'll pop right in. Thanks for posting!
This whole "project" got started because of a stupid comment by someone who was ignorant. I almost ALWAYS shift without the clutch. Another stupid comment I heard from someone when I made the statement that I shift without a clutch was "Why would you even WANT to shift without a clutch?" My reply was, "Why would you want to CLUTCH if you do not have to? It just adds wear to the clutch."

Indeed, it certainly helps if the transmission has good syncros. You CAN shift without syncros, but you have to be VERY good to do that. You have to know EXACTLY how many RPMs your engine turns at what speed and in what gear. Most people would likely destroy the transmission trying. That includes me, unless I know the car VERY well. I had some VW Bugs that had syncro issues that I could shift with bad syncros, but I knew EACH of those cars very well and I had spare transmissions just waiting if I messed up.