6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old November 21st, 2016, 09:30 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Question Spark Plug Query

Hello all,
I'm off to the parts store today to pick up some spark plugs. Since the AC C44 plugs aren't an option, what would y'all recommend? They're for a 61 305D BTW

The AC Delco website has a handy matcher that tells me the 41-832 is an option.

Now, AC Declo isn't available over here. Funnily enough, when I use the NGK cross reference, there doesn't appear to be a match for the 41-832. But, it does say that a NGK B6S is a match for the AC C44.

Frustratingly, some of the cross reference sites I've looked at say that I can use a small engine (IE lawnmower) sparkplug. So yea, the internet is awesome.

Anyway, as always I'm open to suggestions.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:44 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: Spark Plug Query

This is likey a dumb question. Buy, why are the spark plugs on 2, 4 and 6 on a 305 longer than 1, 3 and 5?

I've bought a set of 6 matching, only to realise that they're not fitting on one side (too short). But the other side fits fine?
Old November 22nd, 2016, 01:22 PM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road

Maybe a head has been swapped from a different engine that used a different style plug.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 01:28 PM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road

You need some help, from some fellow Ausses, That may have your local market figured out. There is a guy I met this year at the Stove Bolt reunion in Riverside Mo. He came over to go to the truck show, his name is Tim Pryer. Tim Pryor Reinforcing Pty Ltd. Tell Him That You got his name from, Bob That had the V12 at the Stove bolt reunion. He is really a nice guy, might be a good contact
Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:32 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobill View Post
Maybe a head has been swapped from a different engine that used a different style plug.
So, I'm not crazy for thinking this isn't normal?
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:10 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

It also could be a previous owner mistake. I didn't know there were different heads you could put on that had different length plugs. I guess get head casting numbers and check here before buying/install two sizes. Not computing right now.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:15 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

So, you don't think it's going to cause any harm running one side on short plugs and the other on longer ones? I don't mind the minor oddity, so long as I'm not doing any damage to the engine.

I've been daily driving for a couple of weeks now and it's been running ok.... however, I had suspected the mechanic I went to didn't bother gapping the plugs that he put in (my suspicions were confirmed last night when I pulled them).
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:22 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I just looked at RockAuto site. They list a 3/8" length thread and a 3/4" length thread for the same 61 305 motor. Don't know why. Wait for a guru to reply with the answer. I assume both will be OK or Rock Auto is wrong. See if you have one of each length. Both gapped at .035/.036. Give us the numbers of the two plugs you have. Who bought the plugs? you, the mechanic, already had them in truck?

Last edited by AZKen; November 22nd, 2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

It's already been experimented with (and by me too) - either plug will work fine. Once we thought the long plugs would hit the piston head too, but it doesn't. You can run both and be fine, though it will be funny if you forget this thread when you go to replace them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:33 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

What I can't make sense of though is why the shorter plug won't fit into the 2 4 6 side of the engine. Is what turbobill suggested the most likely cause? Someone has swapped a head at some point?