6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 03:38 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
I don't have a closed knuckle 44 apart. Just measure the ID and Od of the bushing. I bet I could buy 10 on Tuesday.. Is the inner 1/8 to small on the jeep part. If so I will measure up some jeep stuff. And give you the bushing specs you need. Same if it's the Od. Barry
Barry, the bushing I got was from a Dana 25 for a Jeep. It was too small OD and ID.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Quote:
The bushing for a Willys Jeep will be too small.

Those are model 25/27 and the spindle bushings are too small.

Look for GM part No. 2402596.

You may have to look out for some NOS items. Ebay is a good place to start.

Jonathon
Yup

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It was worth a shot. Sure looked identical in the pics

So where have I been the last couple of weeks, you might ask?
H-O-N-E-Y D-O's!

The Blonde is normally very understanding about my lil' project but a couple of weeks ago she put her foot down and had me build a koi pond (read Goldfish pond) complete with a fountain and rocks. Talk about a back breaker! And I had more fence repair to do. This whole time Cecilia's been sittin out in the front yard with one leg in the air, like a wounded puppy patiently waiting for me to get my act together and come back to her.

I still haven't gotten there yet. I did get this stuff in for the axles.

If you forgot, it's this new grease that has a super low washout factor so it wont degrade or wash away when I drive through water, even submerged like when I drive the boat I don't own off the boat ramp with her. I'm excited about using it.

I did get ahold of a micro thingy and measured my bushing. Here's the specs.

1 1/2 inch Outside Diameter (OD)
1 3/8 inch Inside Diameter (ID)
1 7/8 inch Outside Diameter if you include the lip (OD W/ Lip?)
1 inch tall

Pics:

I really need to get free this week and get her handled and mobile again. I've got a hankering for some cruisin!

Next steps:
Clean parts with Diesel
Order grease seal
Order knuckle seal
Order bearings if I need them. They're Timkins so apparently they're adjustable as they wear down.

Should I slather the entire spindle/axle bit (elephant thingy) with grease when I put it back in or is a nice coating good enough?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; June 2nd, 2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:41 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road

I'm not the expert on these, but if i remember correctly on the last axles I re-built, the terminology was to "coat generously with appropriate grease"
Definitely my favorite scientifically based instructions
GMC Hunting - I'll get my hands on one of 'em eventually.
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:09 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm not the expert on these, but if i remember correctly on the last axles I re-built, the terminology was to "coat generously with appropriate grease"
Definitely my favorite scientifically based instructions

That's a good one!

It's after midnight here and I just placed an order with Roy at Quad4x4.com for every stinkin part I needed. It was higher than I thought it'd be, but all the parts are guaranteed fit. Guess I had to wait till after midnight to be able to part with that much dough. It still hurt!

Here's the part numbers and prices

Qty Description Each Total Amount
(2) QU40188 8 BOLT KNUCKLE SEAL KIT $67.80 $135.60
(2) QU40055 INNER AXLE SEAL $10.40 $20.80
(2) QU40025 AXLE SHAFT BUSHING $13.68 $27.36
(2) QU50654 4X4 FRONT WHEEL SEAL $13.06 $26.12

They'll be here in a couple of days.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:27 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Let's clean some parts, boys!

Parts you will need:

1 gallon of Diesel Gasoline (is that redundant?)
One large nylon or metal bristle brush
One small nylon or metal bristle brush
One screwdriver or metal booger picker to scratch away the tougher stuff
One bucket. I robbed one from the kid's toy storage area.
Some grease. I used Archoil AR8200 because of it's low washout rate like I mentioned before.
About 1 1/2 hours of time.

Optional:
Non-Latex Gloves. Latex just comes apart in Diesel
A cheerleader that is good with a camera

Here's my parts in a toy box/bin. It's purple. After huffing diesel for half an hour you won't care.

Here's my photographer cheering me on. Go Daddy Go! Make Cecilia Go!
It wasn't too creative, but it rhymed...sorta!

My homemade Diesel can. You can tell because it has Diesel written on it in magic marker. The yellow cans were $5.00 more expensive so I said they can keep them for $5 freaking dollars.

Hold your breath and pour item B in item A. I poured in about a gallon. Enough to cover most of the parts.

Warning: Don't do this. You can probably set your house on fire. This is all hypothetical stuff. Don't do it. Ever. And don't sue me if you do. I warned you. I aint got no munnies anyway.

Old June 4th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Get cracking. Fyi the wives are way more tolerant of a running and driving rig
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:40 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I only had 2 hours to work so I put on my snazzy latex gloves. The diesel ate them off in about 5 minutes.

I put my effort into scrubbing the very greasy (and stinky) elephant thingy. It cleaned up VERY nice to a polished and rough mix of steel. I hope it doesn't rust before I get it put back in and greased up.

I cleaned up the knuckle bearings and the wheel bearings. They didn't show any signs of wear at all.

I bent the grease seal when I popped it out. I found these at Rock Auto for a couple of bucks. The part number is SKF 24898 and it's 0.81 cents! I forgot I found those when I ordered the seals from Quad4x4.com for much higher. Here's the other things these seals fit so we can cross reference part numbers if they stop making this model.

CHEVROLET K10 PICKUP (1960 - 1986)
CHEVROLET K10 SUBURBAN (1960 - 1986)
CHEVROLET K20 PICKUP (1977 - 1986)
CHEVROLET K20 SUBURBAN (1977 - 1986)
CHEVROLET P10 SERIES (1962 - 1967)
CHEVROLET V10 PICKUP 1987
CHEVROLET V10 SUBURBAN (1987 - 1988)
CHEVROLET V1500 SUBURBAN (1989 - 1991)
CHEVROLET V20 PICKUP 1987
CHEVROLET V20 SUBURBAN (1987 - 1988)
CHEVROLET V2500 SUBURBAN (1989 - 1991)
DODGE RAMCHARGER (1974 - 1984)
DODGE W100 PICKUP (1973 - 1977)
DODGE W150 PICKUP (1977 - 1984)
DODGE W200 PICKUP (1973 - 1980)
DODGE W250 PICKUP (1981 - 1984)
DODGE W300 PICKUP (1973 - 1980)
DODGE W350 PICKUP (1981 - 1984)
GMC 1000 SERIES (1961 - 1965)
GMC 1500 SERIES (1961 - 1965)
GMC K1000 PICKUP 1966
GMC K15 PICKUP (1975 - 1978)
GMC K15 SUBURBAN (1975 - 1978)
GMC K15/K1500 PICKUP (1966 - 1974)
GMC K15/K1500 SUBURBAN (1967 - 1974)
GMC K1500 PICKUP (1979 - 1986)
GMC K1500 SUBURBAN (1979 - 1986)
GMC K25 PICKUP (1977 - 1978)
GMC K25 SUBURBAN (1977 - 1978)
GMC K2500 PICKUP (1979 - 1986)
GMC K2500 SUBURBAN (1979 - 1986)
GMC TRUCK (1957 - 1959)
GMC V1500 PICKUP 1987
GMC V1500 SUBURBAN (1987 - 1991)
GMC V2500 PICKUP 1987
GMC V2500 SUBURBAN (1987 - 1991)
JEEP CHEROKEE (1974 - 1983)
JEEP GRAND WAGONEER (1984 - 1991)
JEEP J10 (1974 - 1988)
JEEP J20 (1974 - 1988)
JEEP WAGONEER (1974 - 1983)
PLYMOUTH TRAILDUSTER (1978 - 1981)

Mine:

Old June 4th, 2014, 11:56 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Looks like they fit to me!

Tiny Knuckle bearings looked good too

I also threw the spring, knobs, and workings of the hub locking mechanism in the cleaner. They still had some grit on them from the dirt run earlier. They came out shiny and new.

That's when I discovered I had more takin apart to do!

This fat gear thing had a clip on it on the back. I used my brand spankin new spring pliers out and plucked it off.

Then this piece fell out the front. The clip was just holding it in by the butt.

With the grease off the gear thing this sleeve came off too.

I then found this little snap ring inside the back of it. I took it out, but it didn't release the bushing looking thing inside. I'm not sure it does. I tried banging the bushing and it's housing out but it's not steel. It damages easily so after getting a scratch on it I gave up and just diesel cleaned the heck out of it.

I rubbed all the parts with dry towels to get the diesel off after cleaning.

Then I smeared some "peanut butter" Archoil grease on the sleeve area and the little bit that the snap ring had kept inside.

I smooshed the sleeve back on.

Then I greased up and slipped the little gear thing back in the front and put the clip on his butt.

And that was it! I didn't clean the main housing yet because I'm letting it soak. It had some really nasty stuff on it. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Here's a random picture of a foot that was on my camera. I don't know why, but I know how you guys like pics so here's a grin

Lessons Learned:
  • Diesel is a great grease cleaner. It doesn't fume like gasoline so if the wind is blowing you can work with it and not start yammering to buddah or seeing pink elephants.
  • But it WILL give you a headache after an hour and a half.
  • Buying parts after 1am will make you stupid.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; June 5th, 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:18 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Get cracking. Fyi the wives are way more tolerant of a running and driving rig
Don't I know it!

She wants Cecilia running so I can go pick up more fence boards and not repair, but REPLACE the fence. I hate diggin fence post holes with a manual digger. Takes about an hour for me for each hole. WHEW!

Guys, remember this one: Once your wife thinks youre handy because you picked up a junky ol' truck to work on, you'll never get a minutes rest again!

The Blonde: "Youre good at building and fixing stuff now, just go build me a new fence."
Me: "Honey, the guys on the board are helping me every step of the way. A fence is a whole different animal."
The Blonde: "Try it honey. You'll do so great! And it'll look soooo purrrrty when you're done.........I'll rub your back when you get done...."
Me: "Sold."

Oh, and all those references to "Diesel Gasoline" above, just change them in your heads to "Diesel Fuel". I got called out for that name boo-boo almost before I got it posted

Thanks for reading guys!

Old June 5th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Trust me I know all about the your handy stuff. Build this and do that. I have 6 brother in laws that can barely change a spark plug. I also know about fence holes. But I long ago gave up digging those by hand. Small diameter holes up to 8 inches with the gas powered auger in the garage and holes up to 36 inch diameter with the bobcat at the shop. A 500.00 dollar bit is cheap compared to two days of sore back work.
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:36 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Trust me I know all about the your handy stuff. Build this and do that. I have 6 brother in laws that can barely change a spark plug. I also know about fence holes. But I long ago gave up digging those by hand. Small diameter holes up to 8 inches with the gas powered auger in the garage and holes up to 36 inch diameter with the bobcat at the shop. A 500.00 dollar bit is cheap compared to two days of sore back work.
I've been considering it. I wonder if I could put one together like my wood splitter? I'll have to give that more thought.

While we're off topic have any of you guys tried these type of screws? I told you I have to build a fence this summer. Well I bought these screws to fiddle with and test out before I get started.

They're made by

and they're cut with pilot drilling points and special twists at the top that drill a counter sink too.

That's all cool enough having one step hole drilling, but the catch is this topper they have built in them. Instead of philips or flathead tops they have a star like this

I've been using these for a couple few weeks now and I'm throwing away all my old philips deck screws. These GRK suckers don't strip out at all. They also back out when you need them to, even if you drilled them 1/2 inch into some board (like my fence bar LOL). I've stripped out probably 20 screws in the last 4 years trying to hold that bar in place. Every time I remove it I strip a screw.
Now, easy peasy.

And no, I dont work for them. LOL! Now for our regularly scheduled program....