6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:53 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
I had a similar style bumper jack on my 78 Buick Regal when I was 17. Does this jack also lift via the bumper or do you place it elsewhere?
With my bumpers it lifts no problem, but I ordered it with a bunch of extras so I can lift by the wheels or the bumper with a bumper attachment. I can use it as a winch too

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:57 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

This High Lift Jack is pretty much a multipurpose jack and a standard for the off roader to carry around, you can use it like a come along or powerpull. I've used mine on my Jeep's bumper and rocker guards to get it up but with the long travel coil suspension on my Jeep it pretty much leaves the tire on the ground and I have to use a regular hydraulic bottle jack to take off a tire & wheel.
Old October 25th, 2014, 12:52 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
This High Lift Jack is pretty much a multipurpose jack and a standard for the off roader to carry around, you can use it like a come along or powerpull. I've used mine on my Jeep's bumper and rocker guards to get it up but with the long travel coil suspension on my Jeep it pretty much leaves the tire on the ground and I have to use a regular hydraulic bottle jack to take off a tire & wheel.
Do you have the 48 or the 60 inch? I changed all four of my wheels with the bumper lift no problem except for the kickout I mentioned.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 25th, 2014, 02:19 AM

bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Mine is the 48 inch jack but even so at a overall width of 59 inches I am limited to what I can mount on my Jeep. Considering I've got 8 inches of lift, 35 inch tires and long travel coil spring suspension I think even a 60 inch jack won't quite cut it.
Old October 25th, 2014, 03:12 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Up around these parts we call them "handyman" jacks. They can be pretty precarious to use sometimes especially if you are trying to do something rediculous alone! An absolutely required tool for truck guys though. Can't believe that some new ones come with a plastic foot!

Here's mine I've had for decades, 48". I welded up a bigger plate that would saddle the foot on it many years ago but can't find it now. Was probably stuck in the mud and I forgot to dig it out. I welded the handle into it also so it could never get pulled out and used for a cheater pipe or something and destroyed or not put back.

I like that rubber deal in the pic, Fetch, that holds the handle in the folded up position. I wrap a bungee cord around mine a few times.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Handyman jack.jpg (2.40 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:50 PM

Truck: 1964 Fenderside 1000
Andice is on a distinguished road

Around here we call 'em widowmakers.....
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Mine is the 48 inch jack but even so at a overall width of 59 inches I am limited to what I can mount on my Jeep. Considering I've got 8 inches of lift, 35 inch tires and long travel coil spring suspension I think even a 60 inch jack won't quite cut it.
I bet that sucker will climb a brick wall

Quote:
Up around these parts we call them "handyman" jacks. They can be pretty precarious to use sometimes especially if you are trying to do something rediculous alone! An absolutely required tool for truck guys though. Can't believe that some new ones come with a plastic foot!

Here's mine I've had for decades, 48". I welded up a bigger plate that would saddle the foot on it many years ago but can't find it now. Was probably stuck in the mud and I forgot to dig it out. I welded the handle into it also so it could never get pulled out and used for a cheater pipe or something and destroyed or not put back.

I like that rubber deal in the pic, Fetch, that holds the handle in the folded up position. I wrap a bungee cord around mine a few times.

DAC
It was pretty cheap too. I got it at Amazon. I really like that SafeJack attachment that I'll post a video to in a second....

Tell me about it! When it popped out I freaked and decided that was enough for me. Until I got this:

src="https://

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old October 28th, 2014, 02:31 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I was asked about my future plans in another thread. I'm going to post them here to kinda be a guide for myself and you guys. Here's what I'm wanting to do if everything goes smoothly...
  • Finish my fence building
  • Fix whatever's popped up to make her not start. Embarrassed me at Lowes this weekend

• Pull bed off again now that I don't need it every weekend
  • Finish rebuilding the Rockwell T221 Transfer Case
  • Change fluids and seals on front and rear differential
  • Paint everything with Por 15 under there to keep it safe from the rust monster
  • Paint the bumper and put some bedliner in foot areas to look more modern.
  • Put the bed on some kinda stands so I can weld up holes, beat out dents, and...paint? Maybe.
  • Remove old wood and the rusted through strips, replace both.
  • Put my fenders back on so she doesn't look like a little girl with her skirt tucked in her drawers in the back.

I may have posted this already so sorry if I did

Fence building is going from this

To this:

with some of this:

to end up with this:

It uses 2x4s and decking boards for the planks and supports, and big ol' fat ground treated 4x6's sunk 2' 6' in concrete for the posts, except for the big gate posts that are all cedar 6x6's, 10 ft long. The decking boards are shrinking as the treatment evaporates off of them from the factory so I'll have to move them to fill in the gaps once they're all dry in spring. You know, just snug them up again. I should end up with about 4 more boards worth of width the way they're sucking up!

And here's my baby in her new stable. See the tires? They don't look too different. I'm happy with how easy they turn too. It's a noticeable difference.

I'll be fiddling with the starting problem next...Hey, it's on my list!

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; October 28th, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:57 AM

[QUOTE=FetchMeAPepsi;55151]I bet that sucker will climb a brick wall

I know it's off topic but I figured to throw in a pic of climbing a Granite slab on the Rubicon just this past summer!

Old October 28th, 2014, 02:55 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

Nice job on that fence!