6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old April 21st, 2017, 06:24 AM

Truck: 1965 gmc 1000
65barnfind is on a distinguished road
Default new member

New guy here, i just bought a 65 gmc. All original. long story but i found it in a nice older ladies barn. we worked out a deal and now its mine.....well the title is in my name but i still haven't gotten it home yet. soon enough.
regardless ive found a lot of good info on this site and so i decided to join. My first thought was HOT ROD!!!! But now... original cruiser is more what i want, as does my wife. Most likely change the gears for cruising down the road.
Thanks to everyone for all the info and hopefully i can contribute as well.
Old April 30th, 2017, 03:51 PM

Default Re: new member

I brought my truck home today !!!!!! I love this thing!! I was able to drive at 55mph at 2100 rpm, I thought the gears would be lower. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, it has a miss for sure but it has sat for a couple years. Need to figure out the whole oil canister thing and oil bath air filter . Clutch is good and it shifts great.. this is going to be a fun truck.. Any tips on the canister and filter and anything else would be appreciated
2015 Polaris ranger
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:21 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65barnfind View Post
I brought my truck home today !!!!!! I love this thing!! I was able to drive at 55mph at 2100 rpm, I thought the gears would be lower. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, it has a miss for sure but it has sat for a couple years. Need to figure out the whole oil canister thing and oil bath air filter . Clutch is good and it shifts great.. this is going to be a fun truck.. Any tips on the canister and filter and anything else would be appreciated
The canister oil filter is just a cover (holder?) for the paper oil filter inside. They're available at Napa and just about everywhere else. The oil bath cleaner, well that's another story. It's great for never buying paper filters again. You just save a little old oil from the every oil change and refill it. Then you're good to go.

Enjoy the ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 1st, 2017, 04:25 AM

Cool. Next question is the carburetor, mine has a hard time starting, it sat overnight and once again I had to poor some gas down the carb to get it to start. Fuel pump issue? Maybe stuck float? It had been sitting for 2 years before I got it. I'm going to change the gas filter. It looks like someone added an inline filter before the pump in addition to the one at the carb. I assume the one at the carb is just a screen or is there a little filter in the 90 degree fitting?
2015 Polaris ranger
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:44 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I brought my truck home today !!!!!! I love this thing!! I was able to drive at 55mph at 2100 rpm, I thought the gears would be lower.
If you've got tires that are about 27" tall, you've got the optional 3.08 rear end. If they're about 30" tall, you got the standard 3.54 gears.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:22 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Morning 65 Barn,
You should clean the carb. on general principal, but IF the truck as an older original fuel pump, you should change that as well as the diaphragm may be bad.

JAke

Quote:
Cool. Next question is the carburetor, mine has a hard time starting, it sat overnight and once again I had to poor some gas down the carb to get it to start. Fuel pump issue? Maybe stuck float? It had been sitting for 2 years before I got it. I'm going to change the gas filter. It looks like someone added an inline filter before the pump in addition to the one at the carb. I assume the one at the carb is just a screen or is there a little filter in the 90 degree fitting?
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:32 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Howdy and Welcome! The Miss fire could be some tight valves as that seems to be a common issue with these. Correct adjustment is .012 intake and .018 exhaust. I'd suggest upgrading to a 500 cfm holley 2 barrel.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:40 AM

When I replace the valve cover gaskets I wil check the valves, good info tj. Thanks I will also clean the carb thoroughly jb, it might be the accelerator pump
2015 Polaris ranger
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:47 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Could be fuel pump, could be leak down. If it's been sitting 2 + years without use you should buy a carb rebuild kit and give it a good going through. If the people that owned your baby before you put ethanol gas in her you'll be cleaning gummy bears out of there for days.

I've got a step-by-step in my build thread if you've never rebuilt a carb. It's pretty easy, just keep track of the parts. Once you're done it should fire right up for ya.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 8th, 2017, 04:39 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
rggale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Could be fuel pump, could be leak down. If it's been sitting 2 + years without use you should buy a carb rebuild kit and give it a good going through. If the people that owned your baby before you put ethanol gas in her you'll be cleaning gummy bears out of there for days.

I've got a step-by-step in my build thread if you've never rebuilt a carb. It's pretty easy, just keep track of the parts. Once you're done it should fire right up for ya.
Unfortunately, in NJ all we can get is ethanol gas. Even marine gas has ethanol. It really sucks. The only gas in this whole state that has no ethanol is 110LL...has lead too