6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old June 5th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Bed Liner Question

I'm not sure where else this bed liner question should go, so I am posting it for general discussion.

Now that my 64 GMC pickup (3/4 ton, fleet side, long bed with a 305e V6) is running again after much fuel and ignition systems repair, I am replacing the rotted out bed wood. This is turning into a lot of work to remove (mostly by breaking and cutting) frozen bolts, cleaning rust and grime from the supporting members after letting the it go for years by putting plywood over the old bed, and then re-painting. After all the effort, I want to add a liner to protect the new bed from the firewood, building supplies, and gravel I expect to be hauling in the truck. I had expected to find a cut to fit universal bed liner on-line, but have not come across anything that claims to fit a truck this old. I am sure that I am not the first person who has faced this issue and am hoping for suggestions from others who have found or modified bed liners to fit mid-60's GMC pickups.

JRMunn
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:51 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bed Liner Question

I planned to painting the wood with a bedliner product on mine. I don't know of a bedliner that is the old drop-in style, but they do make rubber mats you can put in it then take out when you're not needing them.
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:57 AM

Fetch... - Thank you for the suggestions. There are many choices in paint-on and mat type liners. My concern is that mats don't protect the single-wall front bed panel or the single wall side panels above the rear wheel tubs, and I can already see the dents from throwing wood into the bed. I am hoping someone can tell me their experience with trying to get available drop-in liners to fit.

While I am at it, I would also like to know whether the skid rails in a new bed raise above the wood planks, and if so, by how much? My original bed was too far gone to give me a reliable measurement of this.

Thanks again for the help!

JRMunn
Old June 8th, 2013, 02:37 AM

Truck: 1967 2500 305 V-6
TimC is on a distinguished road

I have a bed liner in my '65 chevy bed. It came with it. but I think it might be out of a 73- 85 chevy. It fits pretty good. I use it for my trash runs. Works well. best to take some measurements on a newer truck they should be pretty close. Also being plastic would be easy to trim if needed. Hope this helps.
71 C 10 Chev.
71 C 20 Chev.
and way too many projects sprawled throughout my yard...
Old June 8th, 2013, 04:43 PM

Tim,

Thank you for the information. I will try to compare dimensions of my mid-60's pickup bed to liners for the mid-70's GMC models that I have seen listed on-line.

JRMunn