6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old September 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Guess what? I got those stupid flywheel bolts out!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Oh yeah!!!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

With help from the club I figured out that A. They are bolts and not welded nuts. and B. They're hard as heck to get out, but they're not reverse threaded or anything stupid. Just glom on and get ta twistin! I twisted with an electric impact. I twisted with an air impact. I twisted my finger.

Nothing worked.

So I sprayed them with PB blaster yesterday then hit them with this concoction (through the transmission hump in the center of the cab) :

First I put a jack under the driver's side of the flywheel to keep it from spinning. I put 2 pumps on it after they met.

Looking through the tranny hump inside you can see where it meets up, kinda.

Then I broke loose all my bolts, but left them in. They were only finger loose so I could take them out by hand. I'm wearing gloves because I didn't have much time (1 1/2 hours) so I didn't want to get too filthy.

Then lower the jack. SqueeeeeeeechhhH!!!!

Then take the bolts out by hand, starting with the lowest bolt first so the top one holds the 900 lb flywheel in. Seriously this thing is heavy and has teeth! Don't drop it on you.

When I took out the last bolt I wiggled it a bit and it fell. I stupidly thought I could catch it with one hand. Instead it hit a 4x4 I had lying under the truck in case it fell to protect the teeth. Look at that gouge!

After that I stuck it in 5 wal-mart sacks to keep my other vehicle clean. It's so heavy I might put a few more bags on it to be safe.

Now it's off to the machine shop! $50.00 is what they want to resurface it and it'll be done in 2 hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

YES!

I knew you would get it

Hopefully you will get it back when your other parts arrive and it's on!

Old September 21st, 2013, 01:09 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the tips Tommy. I still think those bolts look like someone just welded a nut on the threads and said, "Well, good 'nuff!" LOL!

the flywheel was done within an hour. BOOM! They even put it in a nice drycleaning style heavy duty plastic bag. And cleaned it. Bonus points!

Tomorrow it'll go back in after a fishing trip with the babies. With luck the rebuild kit will be here tomorrow too.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:20 AM

Flywheels are the only place I recall ever seeing that type of bolt. You've got me wondering... why?

I'm sure someone on here knows!
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:29 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

And....it might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but can that flywheel go back on any which way or is the bolt pattern offset or notched or something so it goes back on the way it came off for the correct weight balance of the lower end?
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:34 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And....it might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but can that flywheel go back on any which way or is the bolt pattern offset or notched or something so it goes back on the way it came off for the correct weight balance of the lower end?
Bolts are off-set, Pepsi.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:17 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Truck: '66 3/4ton with 12'flatbed
bozzhogg is on a distinguished road

I know this is unrelated but does anybody know if the timing chain for the 305E V6 will fit the 305D GMC V6????
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I know this is unrelated but does anybody know if the timing chain for the 305E V6 will fit the 305D GMC V6????
Kinda the wrong place for this but Pepsi's a nice guy. I doubt he'll mind...

In would look up the part# and pic for each model somewhere like rock auto and see if they share the same part#.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:03 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Flywheels are the only place I recall ever seeing that type of bolt. You've got me wondering... why?

I'm sure someone on here knows!
It's Voodoo! I'm sure of it. hexed bolts!

Quote:
I don't remember who, but someone mentioned that they're offset. Way over engineered engine, right? I love that V6.

Thanks Coyote! Hope you and the family are doing well. The rain is great, ain't it?

Quote:
Hi Bozz! Thanks for reading my mess here. I grew up watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns so your screen name always makes me think "Ahhh, Jefferson DAVIS Hawg, at your service!"
Good memories

Fun fact: He was actually really skinny. They used pillows to puff him up!

You might get a better response on your question in the Motors section if no one here knows (I don't for sure). Some guys dont read the build threads so they wont see this one. As the thread-resident monkey with a wrench though I dont think theyre interchangable. Other things are though. The innards changed a little between D and E models. Jolly can prolly tell you more about the changes.

Quote:
Kinda the wrong place for this but Pepsi's a nice guy. I doubt he'll mind...

In would look up the part# and pic for each model somewhere like rock auto and see if they share the same part#.
Great idea! Tommy

Bozz, I just checked Rockauto and they're different numbers. I'd still ask in the engines forum to be sure though. Good luck!

Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:48 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I had big plans for today but they got sidetracked by household upkeep and winterization. Bleh.

When the dust settled I was putting shovels and drills away when I glanced sideways. There sat my 4wd shifter and the middle hump on the rear of Cecilia's frame. It called to me softly. "Pepsi........."

"Pepsiiiiiiii...... Come work on me. Just for a minute. It won't be too hard this time, I promise..."

I grinned a dopey grin and ambled over to the hump. The shifter boot is awful looking. It's a square boot that the PO (Previous Owner) screwed down in the circular hole. It's like gravy covered ice cream. not pretty.

The handle is worn smooth from many years of shifting. I couldn't get it to twist off so I grabbed a pipe turner thingy, one of those with a rubber grip that runs through a handle, and gave it a twist to break it loose. Then my little helper got to spinning.

Remember I didn't have any time? So I left the grip with the boy. He called it a giant mushroom and spent the next 10 minutes shoving plastic fishing worms in the mounting hole. (How does he think of this stuff?) I removed the ring holding the boot on. Since it was all bent and banged up I laid it on a flat part on the frame and whacked on it with a rubber hammer until it was straight again.

Then I put it in a vice and wire wheeled it until it was all shiny and new looking. After that it got a blast of ospho. Tomorrow or Monday I'll blast it with bedliner material and it'll be ready for re-installation. I need to find a new 6" circular boot for it though. The square one is going in the trash. That's all the time I had. I felt better after getting to fiddle with her a little.

OH! And speaking of parts, the parts fairy came again and brought my rear end pinion seal (Rock auto), my transmission rebuild kit (Ebay

), my oil pan gasket (Rock Auto), and a quart jar of Herculiner (Amazon) for the bottom of the transmission hump. Woot!

Guess who's learning how to rebuild a tranny this week?

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; September 22nd, 2013 at 04:57 AM.