6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:37 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 3/4 Ton
Walys60 is on a distinguished road
Default Wheels-Caps

I have a couple of questions on the wheels, hoping someone has some experience here.

When I dug the truck out of its hole, believe it or not, we put the compressor to em and they all air'd up and held great (these are estimated as 30+ year old tube tires). When I gotter home though they showed weather cracks within the first month and decided I'd better put something else on it for actually driving on, so I retired the old split rims, but will keep em in storage anyway.

The rims (pictured) that I bought were just something I found on Craigslist that would fit, but they look real close to what I see on a lot of these old trucks. So, here are the questions..

I have the original caps for the front wheels. Obviously though, there are no tabs for caps on these wheels. Has anyone had experience adding tabs to wheels...welded/riveted them?

Second question...The rears have that big ole hub on em. I've seen some caps for those that match the original fronts (though just pictures, none for sale). I would have thought, though, that if this one had them originally my gramps would have had them still on it. It wasn't exactly well kept for the last quarter century but I know for certain it wasn't where someone could steal anything off of it. Is it possible this one didn't come with those originally ..if so, is there a typical way of dressing them up? Are they commonly painted in other words?

Thanks all! someday I'll ADD to this forum instead of just ask questions I promise! Speaking of, got my building permit for the garage yesterday after 2+ years she'll be inside and ready to start working on er by December (Lord willing).