6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old June 9th, 2014, 04:38 PM

Truck: 1961 GMC 4000 (Fontaine flatbed) w/ 305B engine
Crosshairs6 is on a distinguished road
Default 1961 GMC 4000 Rescue and repair

I watched this truck sit on the side of the road for years trying to get the older gentleman to sell it to me. He finally did sell me the truck and I am happy to have it at my place. This is what the truck looked like when I found it parked on the side of the road.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Own a 1961 GMC 4000 (Fontaine Flatbed) with a 305B engine
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:45 PM

Default Re: 1961 GMC 4000 Rescue and repair

Here is the truck after towing it back home. I now have the truck under the awning of my shop and began the repairs this past weekend.

Old June 9th, 2014, 04:58 PM

I removed about a pound of unnecessary wiring and removed the bench seat and fuel tank. I will send the fuel tank out the be stripped and lined before I put it back in the truck. I also plan to remove all the propane attachments. The propane fuel system was put on after the original owner bought the truck. Everything was pretty loose to say the least.

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:04 PM

Here is a picture of the 305B V6. As big as the engine is there is still a lot of room under the hood. I do love these old trucks!

Spark plugs, plug wires and the battery had to be replaced. The motor would turn over but would not start. I am optimistic she will run once I get the basics back in order.

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:09 PM

Another view from the rear of the truck. That is my John Deere 4020 tractor in the background. Another sunset in Texas. The wood on the bed will be replaced as well.

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:53 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 swb
Standrom is on a distinguished road

Good looking old truck.
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:46 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

Mice to see another of the big GMCs getting Rescued.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old June 10th, 2014, 03:16 AM

Today it rained pretty good here in the Dallas area so work was cancelled. No interest in being in a crane when lightning is striking everywhere.

I took the day to take the gas tank to the radiator shop and I was told it should be ready by Friday. They will acid bath and seal the inside of the tank. The fuel residue in that tank is like syrup right now. I still have to get a new sending unit for the tank so getting to start the truck this weekend maybe a bit optimistic.

I did pick up a new fuel pump, fuel line, spark plug wires and a new gas cap today from NAPA. I took the propane mixer off the top of the carburetor. Special thanks to Cayoterun for his time on the phone explaining to me what to expect with the disassembly and the "in's and out's" of the propane system. I installed the new fuel pump today as well. I did not remove but I did clean up the Zenith carburetor so I could read any information stamped on it. I should get all the plug wires installed tomorrow evening.

Any pointers of how to clean out steel fuel lines would be appreciated. The short steel fuel line from the tank to under the cab is easy to clean out with diesel. The long steel gas line from the fuel filter on the frame to the fuel pump is a different story. Again, any incite would be appreciated. As I said, the fuel residue in the fuel line now is like the tank. It's all like syrup.

The last years the truck was running was on propane. I am hoping the transition back to gasoline is smooth.

Old June 11th, 2014, 03:17 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Subscribed! That's a good story on how you got her. (him?) That's exactly how I got Cecilia too, just pestering an old farmer that wanted someone to appreciate her.

Now he/she needs a name

So about the gas lines, my neighbor has the same problem with an old ferd mustang. I'm going to help him flush them out by filling them up with carb cleaner, let it sit overnight, then blow them out with a compressor.

If you have money coming out of your ears you can just replace them. Its easier, but it adds cost to the build. I hate spending money lol.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 13th, 2014, 01:39 AM

Truck: 62 Burb
dthela is on a distinguished road

Just replace the fuel lines!!!!!!!