6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old September 11th, 2015, 10:22 PM

Truck: 62 GMC truck V6 305
Chevytruckdaddy is on a distinguished road
Default Friday afternoon 911

Hello everyone after resurfacing the flywheel only 6000th and putting a new clutch pressure plate throughout bearing in it won't disengage. Clutch pedal down and try to put it in gear all I get is grinding. Any help on this would be awesome. 1962 GMC with and 305 with a 3 on the tree.

Scott
Old September 12th, 2015, 11:48 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Friday afternoon 911

Greetings Chevytruckdaddy!

First thing I would check is the throw-out bearing itself. GM used two different styles of throw-out bearing--one long, and one short. If your truck has the short one, it may require use of the long one. The second thing is to check your clutch linkage adjustment. You may have to lengthen the linkage, and you should have at least 3/4 inch of pedal free travel before you feel any resistance in the clutch pedal. This is important, especially when resurfacing the flywheel and installing a new clutch assembly. I hope this information helps you out!
Old September 14th, 2015, 03:38 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

Clutch disc in backwards?
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:12 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Greetings ilvracn!

RE: clutch disc in backwards? I had that same thought after I posted about the other issues that could be causing clutch release problems. I hate to say this, but it is possible to install the clutch disc backwards, which would indeed cause the clutch not to release.
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:14 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Guys this is a doublepost. His first post is here. He bought the wrong clutch kit http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:42 PM

Hello everyone . Thank you for all the input first let me clarify that this was a double post I originally posted in general discussion and realized it was wrong so then reposted and the transmission section sorry for that .

OK getting back to the original problem, I purchased the Advanced auto part you all suggested. I've adjusted to travel on the clutch and we're using the large through out bearing. The truck goes into gear when shut off... Start the truck with the pedal pressed and it still lunged forward. I'm perplexed. Any thoughts?

Scott
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:57 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevytruckdaddy View Post
Hello everyone . Thank you for all the input first let me clarify that this was a double post I originally posted in general discussion and realized it was wrong so then reposted and the transmission section sorry for that .

OK getting back to the original problem, I purchased the Advanced auto part you all suggested. I've adjusted to travel on the clutch and we're using the large through out bearing. The truck goes into gear when shut off... Start the truck with the pedal pressed and it still lunged forward. I'm perplexed. Any thoughts?

Scott
Make sure they gave you the clutch with the borg-warner pressure plate with three fingers and not the multi fingered one. That's a common problem. Did you take any pics?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:59 PM

Yes sir, iI got the one with the three prongs.... I could take pictures but don't know how to post them....
Old September 17th, 2015, 11:24 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevytruckdaddy View Post
Yes sir, iI got the one with the three prongs.... I could take pictures but don't know how to post them....

Did you get the pressure plate in backwards? It goes springs to flywheel like this

Old September 17th, 2015, 11:42 PM

I'm checking that now