6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:02 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Question Stalling with choke out

Instead of going to a fast idle, it stalls when I pull the choke out.

Within the last week it's gotten a new set of plugs and the carb was leaned out a bit as it was running too rich (which I'm told is what killed the last set of plugs).

The valves were adjusted as well (although I really don't know if the mechanic did it correctly. I'm not happy with how the engine sounds).

I've fully taken on board the notion that no one gets to work on the truck but me (I'll likely make an exception when it comes to any electrical work) that isn't dead basic).

Anyway, any thoughts on the stalling?

Thanks as always!
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:09 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Stalling with choke out

Does it stall when you pull it half out? Cecilia doesn't like full choke either. You're giving her/him no air to breathe. For me, about 1/2" of choke and Cecilia will start in the dead of winter. There's no need to gag the poor girl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:16 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Pretty much any choke and he starts to misbehave.
Having said that, it's usually somewhere between 70 and 90 degrees over here. Even at night it rarely gets below 65 in summer time. So it's not like I need the choke to get him to start. I just assumed if it completely stalled that something was wrong?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
Pretty much any choke and he starts to misbehave.
Having said that, it's usually somewhere between 70 and 90 degrees over here. Even at night it rarely gets below 65 in summer time. So it's not like I need the choke to get him to start. I just assumed if it completely stalled that something was wrong?
Nope, you're fine. Choking makes the air/fuel ratio really rich so it'll spark up and fire off when it's cold outside. S ometimes you can choke it a very small amount if it isn't starting well from sitting a while too, but it sounds like you don't have that problem.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:25 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road

My experience with both Stromberg and Holley carburetors has been that some choke should be needed to start a cold engine (either because of cold weather or sitting overnight any time). If no choke is needed to start a cold engine, then it is probably running too rich all of the time. I agree with Fetch that full (or even 2/3) choke will (and I think should) kill the engine or, if you are trying to start it, will flood the engine if left on for more than a couple of cranks. And a little faster idle helps the engine keep running with a small amount of choke while it warms up.

I am also wondering how you would lean out the carburetor when the choke is not on? I think that on my current Holley, this would require putting in smaller jets. I can't remember if there was an adjustment, for other than idle mixture, on the Stromberg.

JRMunn
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:11 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

My ww had a vacuum leak so it would idle faster on choke. Unless you convert to a more modern carb like a Holley 2 barrel or 4 barrel, the choke is made for starting the motor and then being pushed in so the engine can idle(my experience anyhow). Unless it's 10 degrees out then you'll probably need choke to richen the mixture. Cold engines love rich starts. If you watch this video of my cold start you'll see my choke all the way out and I immediately push it in, BUT my 4 barrel has a throttle advance mechanism on the choke that can be adjusted by a screw. What this does is as the choke is closed it opens the throttle. So at 1/4 choke I can warm up the truck at 700 RPM and walk away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oNXGk5j3RU

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:

Last edited by TJ's GMC; November 4th, 2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old November 4th, 2016, 02:56 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

The 305 would have been the much smaller ww rather than the larger wwc used on 351E,M and larger engines The wwc throttle body bores are exactly the same size as the Holley 500
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:26 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
The 305 would have been the much smaller ww rather than the larger wwc used on 351E,M and larger engines The wwc throttle body bores are exactly the same size as the Holley 500
Fixed. I meant ww.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy: