6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old July 8th, 2016, 09:03 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Looking at the pic of the ring gear numbers I see 47-12 not 4/-12

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

So you take 47 divided by 12= 3.91666, in other words you have the 3.92 ratio. That's a real good ratio for a 4wd half ton

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Well that makes a ton (half ton!) more sense!

Quote:
3.92 was the standard ratio for the 4x4s in 1962. That's what my Suburban came from the factory with. It's got 3.54s in it now.
Cecilia may have been a forest truck before joining a farm so it's possible she was just ordered with all the standard stuff for a longstepper.

Quote:
Ed, actually the 3.54 was the standard ratio on 4wd models in 62, my father's 62 K1000 had 3.54 gears so the 3.92 was optional

I don't know what's standard, but I think Ed has some books (IIRC) that would tell us what's special order or standard. If it's Ed I'm thinking of. It could be anybody though, my brain is scrambled eggs with a drippy plate.

Quote:
3.92.....seems I've heard of those. Were they are special order? Or was that standard on a 4x4?

Looks like a new rack and pinion are in store!
Yeah, things aren't pretty in there. She still drives, but that's a scary scratch mark!

I'm going to try to put the boat behind her once I get the trans cover fixed and see how she does around the neighborhood. That's 2000 lbs. Not hefty, but not a buncha nothing either. Might be a good tester!

Quote:
The good thing about having 3.92 gears is you could install larger diameter tires without compromising much of a power loss

Exactly what I plan to do eventually!

Quote:
So Pep. Now two different problems to sort out. The second gear jumping out. And the nice looking d44 . don't feel bad. That rear problem is common on that rear in a truck. So first. The problems with the peanut. Two things most likely. Second gear coupling gear is worn. Or input shaft bearing is wonky. Now I don't remember what bearing you used. But the new replacement bearing for the 318 is not the same depth. Its .040 less. This causes the whole thing to move in and out. Probably this is what that knock you hear is from. So that's my educated guess. The rear. Well time for that powerlok upgrade. And a new ring and pinion.
That's above my head at this point. You guys might have to talk me through that one if you're willing and able!

Quote:
Oh the trials and tribulations of poor Cecilia. Now I for to thinking. Hmmmm I said. I parted out a few 63 gmc 4x4 trucks back in the day. Sadly better trucks than yours. But they are just trucks. So me being the absolute truck parts hoarder. Went and looked in the gear box garage. Now all sorts of gears go there. Hundreds of gears. Transmission gears differential gears. And guess what. A very nice 3.92 d44 set. With.... Drum roll please... A 1-31-63 date. I remember the truck. I drove it in. T case was toast. No good tires. In the 80's I could not get two hundred for it. So I ripped it to bits and sold all the good stuff. I always tore the frontends apart. The axles and spindles always made me a few hundred. So now Cecilia can get the ring and pinion.
Hey! Now how about that? I bet it had a Rockwell in it, huh? Send me a bill and I'll see if I can scrape up the $$. Thanks Charon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Banned

Truck: Only chevy powered trucks
Charon is on a distinguished road

Ok Pep. I have been looking at pics of the peanut rebuild. Two things caught my eye. First. One of the needle bearing set ups looked like it was short a few needles. Its the pic without the rubber band's. Second the 2-3 shift fork appears to be worn. So how bout you pull it out. And lay it all out on a clean bench. Then you can see what is wrong. And like I told you in an email. I will get the bits to you. And I am still thinking how to walk you through the rear end. Its a bit above your pay grade.
Old November 6th, 2016, 01:03 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

And the heavens parted, and lo, I heard a voice above me that said, "An SM318 in it's entirety awaits you, my son. Go forth, and repair your beloved."

Story: As most of you guys know I've been looking for a replacement side cover for Cecilia's tranny ever since I busted mine off being an idiot. They're hard to find here. I thought I had one sourced but the fella got busy I guess.

Then out of the blue yesterday I saw this sucker pop up and I jumped on it with both feet and growled a growl of satisfaction, like you do after finishing a whole plate of lipsmackin' bbq ribs by yourself.

As usual, life is in the way right now but this is the best news I've had on ol' Cecilia in a long, long time.

I also just found out my other truck has a no-compression cylinder so that's due for a rebuild (I'm learning stuff, eh? Remember page 1?

) and I have to get rid of The Redhead's mustang (butt pictured above). Too much work needs to be done on it so I just picked up The Wife a new ride and passed her old (safer) car down to The Redhead.

So...once the pony is gone I'm pulling Cecilia in the garage and putting her new tranny in. Woohoo! The whole kit and kaboodle is getting replaced!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:47 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Today I took my brand new transmission out to the yard and laid it in a bed of leaves. Why? Well it's fall of course! The only yard I have left is leaves!

Then I sprayed him down with Easy Off oven cleaner and let him sit for 2 hours.

Afterward I hosed him off real good and ran a scrubber over him to get the caked on yum-yum off.

After giving him another hour to dry off in the crisp autumn air I moved him to the work bench where I removed his tail section bolts. I also needed that hour to clean off the work bench

Two of the bolts were missing, but as my feeble old mind recalls they're used to mount a bracket. I've got plenty of bolts so it wasn't a problem for me.

It also had a Chevy style bracket on the top. I just removed it. I won't be using that of course.

Old November 7th, 2016, 12:53 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

This time I didn't have a vise to work in. I tore it up doing ball joints for my other truck. Not a fun job, but not as bad as you'd think. Anyway, I took this leftover 4x6 post from building my fence and stood it up edgewise. Then I drilled a 1 1/4" hole all the way through it with a wood bit.

Then I stuck my transmission front through that hole. It wanted to fall so I put a leg on it to keep it upright.

Here it is sticking face down, butt up in the air as I take the side cover off.

And here's the side cover as it came off. See how the larger fork kind of bends one direction? I wonder if I had that turned around on Cecilia and that kept him from going into second gear completely? Hmmm....

And here's a pic of the inside just in case I screwed something up in there

Old November 7th, 2016, 01:01 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

A couple more of the innard pics

With the side cover open I was able to pull the tail piece up and out

As it pulled out I heard that same sound that I heard before that freaked me out. It sounded like dropping a handful of marbles in the toilet.

Remember all those blasted needle bearings? I sure hate dealing with those suckers! Anyway, next I pulled the ring off of the gear inside. It just kinda quarter-twists up and then out the side.

Old November 7th, 2016, 01:13 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

It's just a little round rubber band of a gear.

Showing the teeth. Say cheese!

Next came the coke can looking one.

I put them both on the tailpiece exactly as they came out to make sure I didn't mess them up.

See all them dang bearings? Grrr!

I used my magnetic pencil to collect all the bearings (again).

It also pulled out those little bearing holders.

Then on the tail piece there's this keeper. I used my newish tool for clips to expand it. It doesn't have holes to put the tool in, but you can wedge it in there and get it to expand anyway.

While holding the clip open I gently (very gently) tapped the gear sticking out the tail with my hammer. This walked the whole shaft out the front. I didn't bang it very hard this time at all. I learned my lesson when I banged the front one last time. Remember my bearing wouldn't fit anymore? I had to file it down!

Old November 7th, 2016, 01:23 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

After about 4 or 5 bonks the shaft fell out the front. Here you can see it moving, notice the c clip groove is moving forward (to the left).

And here's a peek down the empty tailshaft! It's pretty clean in there, all things considered!

Now I knew the tail gasket was bad in the back so I wanted it out. It had water in it from my washing. So I went to pull it out like I did the last one with my crowbar. No going! It didn't budge. So I took my new pull hammer to it.

The seal didn't come out, but this little ring did! I don't remember seeing this on Cecilia's tranny. It holds the seal to the shaft!

I finally got it out by destroying it. I drove a screwdriver down the side of it and pried up.

And then I took that tailshaft outside to give it a good wire-wheeling. I'm a'gonna paint this sucker!

It took 3 batteries and about an hour to wheel all the rust and gunk that was left over from the bath. I got it all done though. He's shiny as a new penny and ready for prepping. Here I ran out of time so the rest will have to wait a day or two. Here's a pic of the middle of the job. Very nice before-after pic, eh?

Old November 7th, 2016, 11:37 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

All that wire wheeling left my tailpiece really clean! Or so I thought! This may be why my paint didn't stick really well last time I did this.

I took my tailpiece in to the kitchen sink (don't tell The Wife!) and sprayed it down with Super Clean. Look at the mess that was still on there!

After another 30 minutes of spray, wash, rinse cycles my towel started looking like this.

Another 10 minutes and my paper towel came away pretty clean. I rinsed it off again with the veg sprayer and let it dry for about 30 minutes, until there was no water or wet spots left. Then I hit it with Ospho to attack any rust and give the primer something to hold on to.

Old November 7th, 2016, 11:46 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

You have to keep the Ospho wet by reapplying for 30 minutes so I did that. Then I rinsed it all off again with the vegetable sprayer and let it dry again for about 30 minutes until there was no wet spots left.

I was left with a slightly chalky white and black patina. I took that in the garage and put it on a football player's face.

Then came the super sauce. I swore I'd never buy this stuff because it was so expensive, but I found these tiny cans in a six pack for $43.00. Tiny cans, less waste, less cost? I had to try it out!

Did I mention these cans were tiny? WOW!

I held my breath, donned my gloves, and got to painting with a paint brush.

And wow, it came out very glossy black! I put two thin coats on, letting them dry about an hour between coats.

I ended up barely using one of the cans so I put a small sandwich baggie over the opening and sealed it back up with the lid. Hopefully the bag keeps the whole thing from sticking together so I can't get it open again!

And that was it for today.