6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old July 25th, 2014, 04:38 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Default brownish brake fluid in rear barrel

It's probably a no-brainer, but discolored brake fluid in the rear barrel of dual master is not a good sign. The fluid is full, but color is off - like someone stirred in a little cocoa. I also hear a little chirp coming from rear brake. Sound familiar? Wisdom and experience welcomed.

What's been changed from all appearances:
1. Drums and shoes
2. Dual master (not sure when)
3. Power booster (not sure when)
4. Brake lines
Note: overall restored vehicle sometime in last 10 years.

I haven't pulled rear wheels lately, but as I recall, the wheel cylinders looked older than all other brake parts. Especially in rear.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can just drive this doggone truck. Ya know what I mean?
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:41 PM

Default Re: brownish brake fluid in rear barrel

LOL. Forgot this dumb question was still out there. Anyway, one of the PO had put a glob of jb weld or something on the front vent hole (67 dual barrel MC) within the front barrel of the MC. This was compromising the re-circulation of the brake fluid going to the rear. I'm not sure the reasoning for this but for future readers, I believe it was the PO attempt to modify fluid pressure similar to what a proportioning valve would do. As for now, putty stuff gone.
Added to the above, the truck sat for years even though restored. I assume moisture, etc. Hence brownish fluid.
So there. I finally got a response. Unfortunately I think Im talking to myself.
Old May 5th, 2016, 02:54 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Don't know if you still have a question or not, but here is the answer to the 2014 post:

Sorry to bring bad news. You need all new stuff. Master, all lines, wheel cylinders. I think you probably know that. Now I've said it. I know you can say "new lines already, blow them out, clean this, clean that". But telling you what I would do, and have done. Brakes and steering can't be anything but right. You have bad fluid circulated everywhere and possibly residue from the fit-it putty. You can't sleep with that. Good night.

Last edited by AZKen; May 5th, 2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old May 6th, 2016, 03:55 AM

AZ. I changed the fluid a few times and that seems to have corrected the problem. I did make some other brake improvements but I did not change wheel cylinders. It's been about 1500 miles on new fluid. Perhaps I caught it in time to avoid consequences. Brakes are working much better than when I purchased the truck.
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Sounds good. Probably no harm after flushing.