6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old July 28th, 2014, 10:45 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default For the ladies

Again I'm getting PMs asking where I've been. I don't mind, you guys must miss me or somethin!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Well I've been doing honeydos. One of them was decent enough to put on here so I thought I'd do it. Please don't beat on me Rick R. I'm in the Other Rides and projects forum again.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Ok, so The Blonde came home the other day with a bunch of cardboard like you'd use for a poster or something. I said, "What's all that for?" She said very proudly, "I'm going to make my very own nail polish holder! I saw it on Youtube!"

(here it is

)

I said Honey that aint gonna screw to the cabinet door long before it rips thorugh the cardboard. I'll mount it for ya, but it wont last.

She said "

"

So I said I'd try. I put a cut-down paint stir stick from Lowes under the second row and screwed it down. It fit nicely, but the one thing she didn't plan on was the measurements not working. She measured the entire cabinet door and made it fit the whole thing. So naturally it wouldn't close with the rack in place.

What's a good hubs'band to do?

I said, Honey lemme see that beau-ti-ful thing a minute (she did spend a whole day making it, after all). I took it outside and looked around for some scrap wood.

I have ZERO imagination or creativity (entirely left-brained here

) but I figured if she could do this from a youtube video, I should be able to make one better, stronger, faster. I had the technology!

So I took this:

And I measured it out with my tape measure to be exactly one inch less wide and one inch less tall so it would fit bolted to the inside of our sink undercabinet door.

I grabbed a tube of Liquid Nails with its annoyingly long 24 hour dry time. And I got to cuttin.

(out of order pic, notice it's almost done underneath lol)

The old board I used as a platform for my transmission repair was 1/8" plywood. I sawed it up but it wasn't long enough. (sorry no pics since I didnt plan to have it on here).

So I figured I'd glue another strip of plywood to the bottom of the first piece and use a shelf stick as a bridge/holder/support/tie-in. I measured out my cross pieces for the shelves. They were 13 inches long. I cut a 7 of those using 1" cedar sticks I had from fixing a plank on my grill last summer.

Then I put liquid nails on the back of it in a good generous squiggly line.

I pressed it in place with half of it hanging off the end then used a corn dog "seed" (the stick) to smear the excess off. It left a good smooth finish.

Then I stuck some more plywood under the overhanging piece. The liquid nails and the shelf board "bridge" held the two pieces of plywood together to make my shelf the length I needed. Think, Board stretcher! (there's no such thing)

My shelf back ended up being 13 3/4" wide by 26 1/2" long after this little stroke of genius

I clamped the glued "shelf" to the two pieces of plyboards overnight as Liquid Nails requires. Then I cut some sides from the same plywood at 1 1/4 inches. This let them be wide enough to cover the shelf boards plus overhang another 1/4 inch for a rail of sorts.

You can see the side boards already clamped, glued, and dried (another 24 hours) in the next pic.

After that I started gluing the rest of the shelves and tops/bottom in. All of those got a good covering of Liquid Nails along the back but I also coated the sizes where they hit the side boards, then scraped them all with my corn dog seed to make them smooth. They're drying now.

right now my plan to finish it off is to use a bunch of these paint stir sticks from Lowes cut down to size. but I might go get some trim or something to make it all girly looking for The Blonde. She does have to put up with me after all.

I guess she deserves it, right?

Whatever I choose needs to be 1 1/4 inch.
Yeah, I'm thinking now I'll check and see if trim comes in that size.

Finally, I'll spray it all down with some of the primer I bought for cecilia (I have a whole case) and paint it black. Then I'll put that tiger-print duct tape on the front again like she had it in her original version if she wants it for added pizazz. I'm not much on decorating, but again that comes from being all left brain.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing this week. Hope you enjoyed it. I'll post a finished pic once it's done. Hug your wives and kids and remember, if women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:03 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: For the ladies

Awesome! Way to go after those brownie points!!

Love the six million dollar man reference. I grew up on the show.

Old July 30th, 2014, 12:44 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: For the ladies

Good job---a happy wife means a happy life! I like the "Red Green" quote--- I grew old with that show---LOL!!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday