6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old April 25th, 2017, 09:28 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough
Default Newport Wipers

This month I saved up my disposable money (whatever the heck that really means) and ordered the Newport Engineering 2 speed wiper motor, with a new switch. on the early years the motor lays flat against the firewall and they make both the early as well as later years for our trucks.

The folks at Newport really seems to care about customer support. They knew to ask IF I wanted to use my factory knob and provided the switch with the correct diameter shaft.

I'll post a complete breakdown and point of view installation for the BB, but this should be a simple bolt in job.

Jake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wm2.jpg (4.89 MB, Multiple views, 20 clicks)
File Type: jpg wm1.jpg (4.45 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old April 27th, 2017, 06:31 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Newport Wipers

Looking forward to this review thanks.
Old May 24th, 2017, 02:03 AM

jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Ok. I finally finished the install. The wiring is straight forward and the switch wiring is so easy a caveman can do it, as proven by me. They provide a ground wire, but the motor also is the ground. I will still connect the ground, but having two speeds is great.

Last edited by jbgroby; May 24th, 2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old May 24th, 2017, 05:19 PM

The Newport motor went in as advertised, Simple straight forward bolt up to the 3 existing holes. My hands are big and I needed my wife to help hold and start the nuts in the cowl area. It took more time to disassemble the transmission arms and unbolt the old unit than it did to install the new unit and re-connect everything up. The motor comes mounted with the transmission bracket to bolt directly to the pivot bracket on the transmission shafts. (reuses your original nut).

The wiring it SUPER simple.
The unit has 4 wires, which connect directly to marked terminals on the switch. The power wore connects to you wire coming off the fuse block. Although they provide a black ground wire, the body the motor will serve as a ground as well (I CONECTED THE GROUND WIRE AS WELL)

Red (Power)
Blue (park)
Yellow (low speed)
White (high speed)
Black (Ground)

When you order, they will ask you if you wish to use the factory OWM dash knob or not. IF you choose to use your OEM knob, they will add a standoff shaft so you can install your original knob on the shaft. Fits like a glove in the original hole with the factory (D) slot.

Of all the parts I've installed on this truck this was one of the easiest.
Old May 24th, 2017, 05:19 PM

The Newport motor went in as advertised, Simple straight forward bolt up to the 3 existing holes. My hands are big and I needed my wife to help hold and start the nuts in the cowl area. It took more time to disassemble the transmission arms and unbolt the old unit than it did to install the new unit and re-connect everything up. The motor comes mounted with the transmission bracket to bolt directly to the pivot bracket on the transmission shafts. (reuses your original nut).

The wiring it SUPER simple.
The unit has 4 wires, which connect directly to marked terminals on the switch. The power wore connects to you wire coming off the fuse block. Although they provide a black ground wire, the body the motor will serve as a ground as well (I CONECTED THE GROUND WIRE AS WELL)

Red (Power)
Blue (park)
Yellow (low speed)
White (high speed)
Black (Ground)

When you order, they will ask you if you wish to use the factory OWM dash knob or not. IF you choose to use your OEM knob, they will add a standoff shaft so you can install your original knob on the shaft. Fits like a glove in the original hole with the factory (D) slot.

Of all the parts I've installed on this truck this was one of the easiest.