6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old December 29th, 2016, 12:23 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stalling out while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmunn View Post
AP - I have driven my 64 1500 with a 305 V6 for over 30 years (more and less, less now), and the only time it behaved as you describe is when the small ceramic type filter at the carburetor was getting plugged up. If you have the original carburetor and this is your only filter, I would start there because it the least expensive possibility. This started happening as the truck (and gas tank) aged, and was solved with a larger in-line filter that gets changed when I think of it. I have had several fuel pumps go out in various ways - more often lately because old pumps don't seem to like the new gas. Usually, the truck just dies and won't start more than once while it uses up the little gas left in the carburetor. But one time, the diaphragm sprung a small leak that was spraying fuel out the small vent hole. I knew something was wrong because the truck was using a lot of gasoline, and I was lucky that it didn't catch fire or blow up. Changing the fuel pump takes about 15 minutes with some experience, and I carry a spare. If all else fails, check the points. Burned or eroded points can cause many different symptoms.

JRMunn
Thanks JR. I have fuel pump ordered. I went ahead and pulled the sending unit to check the sock/screen filter. It looked clean and I could blow air through it. I did see why my fuel gauge was temperamental. The metal bad that goes from the float arm up to the top of the unit where the wire connects is broken. I imagine it only made an unreliable contact at best as it drove down the road. If anyone knows where to get a replacement, please let me know.

Pump is on the way. The fuel filter at the carb looked pretty clean so I flushed it with carb cleaner to try to make sure. I guess I might as well replace that while I am at it.

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Torino GT, 302
1973 Mach I Mustang, 351W
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:22 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Not too many filters that you can look at and say they are clean, not clogged. Replace all that inexpensive for sure.
sender
Old December 31st, 2016, 12:00 AM

And the winner is...the fuel pump was bad. Still surprises me that it could idle fine for so long, but at least it's running again. It has an attic and garage full of stuff to haul so we can close on our house. Thanks for all the help guys!

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Torino GT, 302
Old December 31st, 2016, 01:36 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphaynes View Post
And the winner is...the fuel pump was bad. Still surprises me that it could idle fine for so long, but at least it's running again. It has an attic and garage full of stuff to haul so we can close on our house. Thanks for all the help guys!
No problem! Glad we could help! And kinda glad I was right. haha! Makes me looks less nuts than I am!

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:40 PM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road

Great, glad it worked out. A year or two after I replaced my mech fuel pump, it started leaking enough oil it was blowing over on the inner fender well and surrounding area. I took it back off, cleaned it, resealed, etc and it still leaked. It seemed to be leaking around the body flange and/or weep hole. I tightened the body flange bolts and leak was still there. I then took it apart and I noticed the rubber diaphragm was not in the best shape. Of course, it was out of warranty, but I replaced it once again and leak was gone. That's 3 fuel pumps in seven years. I drive it about 2,500 miles per year, which may not be enough, or the awesome gas we have these days?

In ref to your sending unit, the strap on mine was cracked or I broke it the last time I had it out, so I soldered the strap back together and it's working fine with the big glob of solder.
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
Great, glad it worked out. A year or two after I replaced my mech fuel pump, it started leaking enough oil it was blowing over on the inner fender well and surrounding area. I took it back off, cleaned it, resealed, etc and it still leaked. It seemed to be leaking around the body flange and/or weep hole. I tightened the body flange bolts and leak was still there. I then took it apart and I noticed the rubber diaphragm was not in the best shape. Of course, it was out of warranty, but I replaced it once again and leak was gone. That's 3 fuel pumps in seven years. I drive it about 2,500 miles per year, which may not be enough, or the awesome gas we have these days?

In ref to your sending unit, the strap on mine was cracked or I broke it the last time I had it out, so I soldered the strap back together and it's working fine with the big glob of solder.
I guess they just don't hold up well. The one I pulled off was new 4 years ago when the previous owner installed it.

I was curious if that sending unit strap could be soldered, but went ahead and ordered one. Mine was just looking pretty rough and flimsy.

Thanks for the input!

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

1970 Torino GT, 302