6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:55 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dana 44 Seals needed

I've only got 4 weekends left to get my bed back on and my next project is to repair the seals and brake lines, and wires on my 1962 K1000.
Before I tear into it with teeth and claw I'd like to get an idea of how tough it's going to be. I know I need the seal that goes on the back of the differential with all the bolts in it. I plan to hit it with RTV silicone so the seal sticks and stays strong.

So my questions are

1. Is that all there is for a seal there? Just the back cork looking seal?
2. How about the front? Does it just pop out or will I need a wheel puller of some kind? The drive shaft runs in there so IDK how that comes out. Manhandle it?
3. Is there a seal on the axle ends I need to worry about by the wheels?

Thanks guys. Without this place I'd be long lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana 44 Seals needed

The seals are easy until you get to the axle seals. I have a way of doing things. Don't touch unless there is a problem. If the seals don't leak don't touch. The cover seal is always trouble with the thin cover. Get a d 44 cover from the front of a gm 4x4 from 70 to 77 they are 1/8 thick plate and won't bend when the bolts are tightened. Use a new seal from napa and some black rtv. Pinion seals are easy. Pull the pinion and put in a new seal. If the axle seals leak you might as well do the berings and brakes because the oil will kill the shoes and the bearings are cheap. Finally you don't need any special tools for the pinion only some muscle to get the bolt loose.