6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old December 7th, 2014, 06:59 AM

Truck: 1965 gmc wideside
randallgrunert is on a distinguished road
Default pertronix ignition

hello fellow 6066 members.
I know this has been discussed before but I can not find it. I am going to install a pertronix ignition an coil and can't remember for sure. I know I remove the resistor wire, do I replace this with a #10 wire or just remove. I greatly appreciate any response.

Hope all of you have a Merry Christmas a great New Year to come
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:35 AM

Default Re: pertronix ignition

Still looking for information on the resistor wire when I install a pertronix ignitor when I remove the resistor wire do I replace it or totally disconnect it. Thank you for any help.
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:12 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallgrunert View Post
Still looking for information on the resistor wire when I install a pertronix ignitor when I remove the resistor wire do I replace it or totally disconnect it. Thank you for any help.
It's been awhile since I've put a pertronix in, but if I remember right, I think the new pertronix has instructions in the box on how to make the change.

If you haven't used them before, I hope you'll be as pleased with the change over as I have been. Great improvement, imo.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old December 13th, 2014, 07:38 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

Barry helped me with that issue...
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthr...ight=pertronix

I disconnected the resistance wire and ran a new wire as instructed. Verified the voltage and it has been running like a champ.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:09 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HEI ignition

No matter which of these two brands of HEI you go with both will require modifications to fit the GMC V6 , of what includes having a collar machined and retrofitting the stock V6 distributor gear to the new distributor, All of the procedures are in Jolly's website. What I can tell you about ACCEL is it's own by Prestolite who also owns Mallory distributors and Mr.Gasket. Prestolite did manufacture their own distributor back in the 60's and early 70's for Jeep and possibly Chrysler. If your looking for a straight bolt in HEI there is a vendor on ebay known as HEI Dizzy that makes a billet HEI specifically for all GMC V6 engines. I've also found the right type of spark plug for the .060 gap required for the HEI that's fits the long reach application of the V6 which I'll be trying out today and it's the AC-R44XLS6, if AC is not your choice of plug this number can be cross linked to other brands.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:32 AM

Thanks guys for the info. Finally getting some well needed rain on the central coast CA. and don't have any dry place to work so haven't gotten around to doing any changes yet. I'm also considering putting a brake booster with duel reservoirs. Anyone done this or any suggestions. Merry Christmas and happy Holidays to all.
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:33 PM

Truck: 1966 1500 351E
odin8183 is on a distinguished road

Dual Master Cylinder conversion question:
On my 1966 GMC 1500 I used a dual master cylinder and the equalizing valve and some of the tubing from a salvage 1970 3/4 ton Chevy truck. I used the core MC and got a rebuilt MC from NAPA P/N 10-1331.
I reused the equalizing valve and part of the tubing that was on the salvage truck and just separated the front and rear brakes- re-plumbing the tubing for the rear brakes to the rear chamber of the MC. I then routed new tubing to the front brakes. That tubing screwed into the front MC chamber. I bought the new steel line from NAPA. I added a simple little signal light I bought from NAPA and mounted it on the dash. It was a sinple conversion that was quickly accomplished.The braking has been fine with my four wheel drum brakes. I've felt alot safer with my truck's braking and have had no problems since I did the conversion about 10 years ago.
Caution:
An Equalizing Valve is not a Proportioning Valve!
Some confusion comes in because the early dual master cylinder trucks (example 1970 3/4 ton) had a equalizing valve with drum brakes front and rear. This valve is not the same as a proportioning valve necessary for disc brake systems. An equalizing valve just senses pressure differences, closes a circuit and will turn on the brake warning light if the pressure in the front and rear reservoir of the MC are different.

CO'T