6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old January 13th, 2015, 01:34 PM

Truck: Shopping for a 1960-61 4x4
Jeannie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rebuild engine vs. Replace?

Let's stay on topic, gentlemen.

-Jeannie

60-66 GMC Club
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:37 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road

I was sharing my experience that the GMC big block V6 is more durable than at least the 80's/90's versions of the Chevrolet 350, regardless of parts availability. This is not intended to be hurtful. I understand that Chevrolet enthusiasts may not agree, and I would not want a big block V6 in an El Camino. But I am still of the opinion that a big block V6 is a better engine for a vehicle that might be used like a truck.

JRMunn
Old January 13th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Before we hear everyone's bad Chevy motor story. I feel we have stayed pretty near topic. He is asking for advise/opinions about rebuild or get a different motor. Keep in mind my point is: IF you like the looks, the history, the feel of a GMC or you were given one and you don't have the money or time to collect a bunch of hard to find 305 parts. IF you don't want a 305. IF you don't want to take a chance on Louie the engine rebuilder, IF you can't find another running 305, then a running Chevy would be my suggestion. The point is NOT that the 305 is a bad motor or that it is NOT correct for the truck or that they don't last.
Insulting a question, unless in jest, will move new members/potential members away from this site. Nobody wants to be in a hard nosed, negative towards other options, single minded, clicky, forum. Opinions re: favorite GMC motors, options, modifications ARE OK in my mind. Just not forced or dictated. Keeping a GMC stock is a good goal. But they can do what they want with it. If that's out of bounds here, good luck.
CBS: you don't have to apologize for any question or mentioning a Chevy. If you decide on a new motor, Jeggs or Summit has some really good deals sometimes, sometimes free shipping. Short or long block, SBC or BBC.

Last edited by AZKen; January 13th, 2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Well I hope you stay with that house-pulling V6 and keep the spirit alive, but if you go with a chivvy () motor you can still post a build thread in the Other Rides and Projects to share pictures and remember how you took it apart. Id like to watch the progress anyway and help if I can.

Of course you still have to run the GMC Manual gauntlet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

I have just gone through the process of getting an old truck running that has sat for a long time, 6 years documented, maybe more before. Even though I am experienced as far as working on vehicles, been doing it since I had my first one in 1961, you can do what is necessary to get this truck on the road.
I would follow what Pepsi said about trying to see if it will fire using starting fluid. If it turns over, makes an attempt, pops, then you have a good idea that it will start provided you repair the areas that are bad.
Your fuel system will be completely blocked in many areas. if it had gas in the tank when it was parked, you may as well figure on replacing the gas tank, the float will look like an old barnacle, it too must be replaced. the line from the tank to the filter will be blocked, with varnish. The fuel filter will look like a molasses pot.
Parts are readily available, really not that expense considering how old this truck is.
Developing the skills to replace the items required just takes time, reading reference material like manuals and lots of patience. We are here to help you in gaining the confidence to tackle the project.
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:45 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC Fleetside Custom V6
cbs34 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the encouraging words! I am hoping to get up there in the next week or so to figure out where the starting point is on this thing.
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:48 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, don't forget the camera!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.